shakey ride - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

shakey ride

My damn jeep gives me a headache!I don't know why can anyone help me.Its a 76 5 ..It has new shocks on it...hmm.Well anyways I drove home to work today and everythings shaking pretty much.The highway was scary earlier because all of the top was shaking and it was noisy.Any bump I hit is really noticeable(this may be because i drove home from work at 2 a.m. Well is there anything I can do to remedy this?It makes me want to clech my teeth.Driving is a damn chore in this Jeep sometime!

If knowledge=power and time=money.. please donate all your time and knowledge to my jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 04:44 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: shakey ride

Joey, remember a CJ5 is short wheelbase with the "normal" Jeep shackle setup. It's reversed from most other vehicles. When you hit a bump, the force of hitting the bump is moved foward toward the object you hit. The spring flattens in response to the bump. It's anchored at the back, so the axle and wheel move foward toward the object. This is because as the spring flattens, the growth goes foward.

Now this ain't a bad idea at slow speeds. When you're trying to get traction enough to go up, around and over things off-road the extra force will help. However, on the highway it can be nerve racking.

There are two answers to the problem:

1. Live with it and learn the CJ handling characteristicts, or;
2. Do a shackle reversal, take a look here at M.O.R.E.'s site for a good kit, as well as a description of what a reversal does:

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/srs/srs.htm

Without doing the shackle reversal, any bump, pothole, or rock in the road will be noticeable. The first time I took my CJ on the street, turned a corner and hit a pothole at 25mph I thought I was gonna die! The CJ seemed uncontrolable and prone to wander all over the street. It took a while to get used to how the CJ reacted to bumps and potholes.

Now if you're talking serious shaking, like a vibration in the wheels or steering when you're not hitting anything, now that's another matter. Give the Forum a little better description of the symptoms and the Formum readers can better address the problem.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 12:29 PM

A new steering stabilizer shock absorber will do wonders for your problem if yours is worn out.
Tie rod ends are the next thing to inspect, then the gear box and ball joints.
Jack up both front wheels and try to rattle the tires and feel for excessive play ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:08 PM

Another thing if it's really vibrating is the motor mounts, what shape are they in? Also it all depends on the type of shocks and springs you have, the cheeper, the worse they ride. If you have really cheep shocks and springs that could make a differance. Also what shape are your bushings in, and uranthane bushings are susposed to give a harsher and more vipbration prone ride, it could also be that you don't have any left.
Barrel Roll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Im pretty sure they are really cheap shocks..I will have to check the front end later.The jeep has a new motor in it but the engine shakes a lot..I was kind of thinking that this could be it.I dont know how to tell if the mounts are broken or worn or not.When I'm driving just on a normal street its kind of stiff feeling..shaky also.When I hit a speedbump its real bad..so I just idle over those.

If knowledge=power and time=money.. please donate all your time and knowledge to my jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode