winter mods - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

winter mods

I love winter. it's a great excuse to stop wheeling for a while and fix all the damage from the year of wheeling.. it's also a great time to upgrade the stuff that broke. with that in mind, my jeep is getting the 1 ton axles (that have been in the back of my truck for 2 weeks) tomorrow. and i even solved my radiator dilema..er..."issue"...oh and h8....our hobby shop got a new plasma cutter and tig welder today... now I can start fabbing some interesting goodies.. and i have all winter... i am stoked.....it makes me think i like to wrench as much as drive...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 11:36 PM

Re: winter mods

I sure do love to climb on steep rocks, but I really enjoy wrenching too. I like thinking of the solutions, to problems, fabbing them and testing them. Itll be cool to see what lovely creations will emerge from your shop in the spring(something akin to a beautiful butterfly emerging from its cocoon)hahahahaha. Are you finally planning to swap in a nice YJ grill for those bug eyed antiques you guys like so much, wooooohooo.
I am starting to plan the next sweeping round of modifications, probably in Feb. I already have a 95 stang 5.0 SVO and NP 435(Ford truck) ready and waiting, and I think Im gonna go to a Dana 20 from a Bronco and a Klune V. Im going to a 1/4 eleptic rear suspension, with an overall wheel base of about 100", I just ordered the new fuel cell last week, so that I can raise the cell out of the way of the rear diff. Also a few mods to the Roll Cage Im trying to get everything in order for a short stay in my freinds shop. I hope to be down only 3 weeks. Afterall, winter in the desert, basicly involves long sleeve shirts instead of tank tops, hardly a time to be cocooned,(I know I shouldnt rub it in, but you guys will be out here soon enough).
Really though Im sure you guys will turn out some awsome beastly modifications for spring.
Im gonna try to road trip out there in the spring, to offer up a little advanced 4 wheelin seminar for you flatlanders.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:10 PM

Yes, it's axles for me as well. Dana 44's front and rear, 4.56, detroit rear and probably lockrite in front. The rear is finished and ready to go in, the front is stripped and cleaned, ready for cutting. The hard part is deciding when to do the tear down. My club is running two trails a month, and I don't want to miss any. Hopefully I can get everything ready and then host a wrenching party on an off weekend. Five days to break in the new gears, and off we go. Do you think I'll notice a difference between my current set-up of open diffs and 2.73 gears?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Max

dealing with your Jeep obsession;
the steps - recognition
denial
acceptance?
uhh...screw it, lets go wheelin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well mine is parked right now too. my aa engine mounts are tweeked and caused a bolt to break off in the block! i called aa and apparently they have had problems with them in the past because they sent me a new set (no charge) that have been redesigned. these look alot stronger than the old ones. i am also going to move my motor/tranny/x-case back about 2" so i can run a mech fan if i want to. i am also going to lift my tranny and x-case up into the frame rails and hopefully have a flat skid plate on the bottom of the frame. the three body mounts that are on the sde of the frame on each side are coming off. they will be replaced by 6x6 angle iron and will be lifted up so i can do away with those three body lift pucks. the only other thing is i want a dana60 front and hope to get one before this summer. i really hate putting the "heep" in the garage for a while because i like wheeling in the winter better than the summer. it stays over 100deg most of the summer here in tx and it really sucks being out in that heat. anyway good luck to you all (and me) with your winter projects!

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

someone around here say plasma cutter??

well if it ever stops raining this weekend the rear axle is coming out... and getting 3" chopped off it.. gotta love moser eng. they said $69 and that is with shipping and handling to send them that d60 shaft and have it cut 3" and resplined.. whooo hooo..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 06:37 PM

Yeah, I am also planning a rear axle D60 swap sometime after the new rear suspension. I am planning on running 38.5" or 40" tires though, and I want to run the 8.8 for a while to evaluate just how much it can handle. I will also make any improvements to the D60 for the 3 or 4 link suspension after testing on the 8.8.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 12:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks H8, (long sleeves in the winter instead of tank tops) the high today was five below zero, yesterday it was warm enough (3 above) to snowblow the 9" of snow out of my driveway! It's too cold to even go out in the garage for 15 minutes to flip my sway bar over that I put on upsidedown...er...I mean that SOMEONE put on upside down. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 09:44 AM

Yeah,,, Winter time in the desert is great, but I don't want to spend it building up the Jeep. I want to drive it. 70 degree weather is fantastic wheelin weather. I will try to keep the Jeep at home this next few weeks to get a front bumper made to match the one I built last summer when it was to hot to wheel,,,,,,NOT,,,,, But really I have several things that need to be addressed to get it ready for this spring. Like finish the tranny change out, still have a few details to work out. Reworking the onboard air system and such. H8 when you come out here we can scare up any number of guys to go wheelin. That is the easiest thing you can do around here,, finding some one to wheel with.
GP'n
P.S. Jeff what do you do with all those parts you keep changing out or upgrading?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:18 AM

GP'n,
I could probably manage to put together a weekend in January to visit the Pheonix area.
As far as the parts I swap out, I usually sell them, to offset the costs of the new modifications. Most of the times I offer up some prety sweet deals to the people who are donating the use of their shops and tools. Most of the parts that will come available in this next round of changes are spoken for. Then sometimes the parts just sit around in my construction bins for months(like the 35" SSRs that are in their now), untill someone sees them in their and asks about them. If I didnt have to move so often I would store them, and start building a rig for Kathy.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:57 AM

Yeah the Jeepchicks either want to have one of their own or drive yours. Mine likes to have her own but she doesn't want it to crawl rocks, Just trails. Oh well what ever keeps her happy. When you come down I'll get some guys together and we'll run Terminator.
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode