5.9.. 6.7? what the... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

5.9.. 6.7? what the...

ok.. all you new fangled euro wanna be's... lets get something straight.. amc made these engines.. so that means they are 304's.. 360's.. and 401's.. there aint no L after them numbers.. ugh!!!
cant stand reading a profile or a post and seeing that crap.. i dont know what the heck the conversion rate is.. i grew up with good ole fashioned american numbers.. so lets keep these things in there proper generation.. the engines were made as 304.. then its a 304.. now.. a mustang motor.. that is a 5 liter.. that is the way ford made most of them new ones.. that i understand..
i really need to be president.. cause i would get rid of that metric crap within a week.. i mean.. what would you rather have.. a five point something.. or a 360!!! come on.. the later one just sounds more manly.. not some snot nose, pocket protecting.. dork.. like the liter thing.. jeesh..

ok.. i am done venting.. sorry.. this all came about the time those square headlights came out.. we probably have them to blame.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]..
just bustin your chops.. yuppies..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 5.9.. 6.7? what the...

lesssssseeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YJ = strong, wide base frame
YJ = galvanized tub

CJ = none of the above

CJ = corroded Jeep
CJ = crippled Jeep
CJ = crusty Jeep
CJ = Cretaceous Jeep

Now why would anyone want one? Unless of course he happened to be a thick-skulled, leathernecked, amphibious reptilian-like creature that goes around dressed like a tree? (Thinking, of course, that he is well hidden?)

Even a squid knows better! (Some squids at least!)(One!)

sln

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OH MY! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] LET THE SH!T STORM BEGIN!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

MY DASH AINT PLASTIC![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 07:27 PM

Some people have 5.2 and so on because they have swapped in other motors, like dodge 5.2 or 5.9 magnum, 5.0 ford, 5.7? Chevy (350), and other stuff. And also the 4.0 is a kickin motor, Look most of you 258 people either swap in a 258 head, mpi unit, or put one in.
Barrel Roll

'95 YJ Totaled!

Currently looking for a 16 year old jeep chick with a jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 08:52 PM

Ive always had fun referring to my amc360 as a AMC 5.9 just to watch the parts bafoons flounder and look puzzled thru the counter books.

some engines just dont sound right call them by the U.S. equivilent, like a 4.0 liter, it doesnt sound right as a 242 to me?

just like a 258 doesnt sound right as a 4.2!
I think Ill start calling my engine in Cubic Centimeters just for fun.
"Id like a set of plugs for my 5938 CC AMC engine please."

hehe

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 09:42 PM

Jeepgod,
My 66 GTO used to have a 6.5 Liter emblem on the inside door trim. They have been trying to convert us for a long time. In a way it makes a lot more sense to have a decimal system. I mean if we were used to it everything in increments of 10 makes much more sense than 12" in 1'= 3' in 1 yard = 1760 yards in a mile, I mean who was thinking this stuff up, and it doesnt get any better with english volumes and weights. However on the other hand as long as english is slowly becoming the standard language(except in our own country), they oughta just use our weights and measures also. Oh well in any case that ol Pontiac 6.5 liter used to really haul ass, hahahhaha. but it sure didnt get very good kilometers per liter, hehehehe.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

did i hear some squid squeeking.. slime your way back into that yj of yours.. and leave those ole rust buckets for the real men.. us thick skulled, leathernecks.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].. and one more thing.. camo is so much better than bell bottoms.. hehehe..

i hear you ozark.. i might have to try that.. they have caught onto the fact then when i say 401.. they just skip over the engine detail.. my need to throw them a new curve ball.. now.. how do i get 401 in centimeters.. mmmm.. i must have a book on this somewhere..
H8.. i had several old pontiacs.. fortunately they were of the last year they had the REAL numbers on the side.. like 400.. and my fav.. 455.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].. in 77 they started putting that 6.6 liter crap on the shaker hood.. ugh.. but i know what you mean.. my old 76 t/a with that 455 4 speed.. was really mean..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:48 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Then there's my motor (or lack thereof), in which the size is used in its name, GM151. GM is General Motors of course, and the 151 is the size. I hate it when people say 2.5L, which it is, but it sounds so wimpy (which it is). Just sounds better when GM151 is mentioned, that's all.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 08:00 PM
Addict

I think the 401 is the 6.6L, or 6.57L to be exact. I guess you could call it a 6571cc engine, but personally I think calling it a 1.74G (gallon that is) would mess them up the best!

I personally like to mess with heads of the toy boys bragging about their 3.whatevers and say, "Well, I only got a 5.9L in my Jeep!" (Soon to be a 6.3L with a totally revamped TR electrical system!)

Oh yea! Squidboy! "Completely Jeep"

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 08:51 PM

let the war begin, do not fire till you see the white of their eyes...... the hell with their eyes

I got a 4.3 which I do not know what it is but chevy and a 225 with you think is a 3.8 but no that a 231 which is a buick, then I got a 22re which you think is a 2.2 but no its a 2.5 which is not a chevy then you got chevy with izusu motors and madaza with ford motors, geo with toyota and jeep made in china with chevy in mexico and ford in canada or is it the other way around. Toyota made in califorina and nissan in tennessee. with mercedes in alabama..... and to think my 46 is a willy which is not a jeep or is it jeep is not a willy ohhh......... I need a drink

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode