Found a Wagoneer for $500.00 what to do - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Found a Wagoneer for $500.00 what to do

I found a Wagoneer with a 360 and a Quadratach x-fer case. I am not sure what year it is but I was interested in the axles. I have a Q-tach on my CJ and I was wondering if the spring perches would have to be modified or if there are any other special things that would have to be done to get these axles under my CJ-7 Narrow track. Before anyone asks me I, and the Waggy, am in Whitefish, Montana.
THANX
THANX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 02:33 PM

Re: Found a Wagoneer for $500.00 what to do

These axles will be much wider than your CJ! Not only will the wheels stick out far from the body, but the spring perches are likely wider on the wagoneer. Measure the centre to centre width of the spring perches and compare. That will give you your answer. You could always weld on new spring perches, but I can't see using these axles uncut for anything but pure off road due to the width making the vehicle unstreetable.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is a 77 Cheerokee, looks just like a Wagoneer. I just talked to the owner and he says it runs fine has 75,000 original miles and needs a new valve cover gasket, power steering box rebuild, rear window crank, and a few other little things. I am going to drive it this evening. I am not sure how much wider the axles are than mine b/c this cheerokee has the narrow axles, for that vehicle there are two widths. My narrow track CJ is just too narrow and wanders all over the roads that are rutted, in MT. they are all rutted from logging. The Cherokee has a 360, Turbo 400, Q-tach, and needs a good bit of body work. The owner said they would take $350 cash and I could drive it away this afternoon. Is this vehicle worth the effort of a total rebuild into a nice daily driver/ trail machine. If so I would sell the CJ and fix the Wagg. er Cherokee

CJ has modified 350, 33's, a lot of mods, gas tank/one piece shafts/custom heater/hard,soft,bikini,another bikini-tops/lots of stuff but it gets bad mileage, and is squirelly on ice up here. Basically just one thing after another goes wrong on the CJ. Are all AMC's this way or what. If so I will just keep the CJ and possibly take the axles off the Cherokee and sell the rest for $100 or just leave the thing where it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 04:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i would take it.. putting those axles in.. would be waay helpful.. for one its a dana 44 front.. and they are wider.. undriveable? never.. they are not that much wider.. but they are way wider than your axles.. since you have the narrow track.. i have a front wagoneer d44 in my jeep.. and its not that wide.. with a set of 10" wide tires.. you are talking of about 2-3" will hang out past the fender flare.. with normal off set rims..
but you will have to modify your springs in the front.. you will have to mount them outboard of the frame to get that axle underneath the jeep.. at full width.. the back you will just have to move the spring perches.. not alot of work.. but its work.. so depending on what you want to do.. and what you want to do with the jeep afterwards.. is all up to you..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The biggest drawback is that I am fixing to move to another city and I will only be there for 4.5 months before I move again. After that I will be stationary for at least 2-years. I just do not know how I will get it down tothe next city as I will need someone else to help us drive all the vehicles. I was looking at purchasing the Wagoneer and selling my CJ-7 and having the Wagoneer totally redone. If I could get my money back out of the Wagoneer and get all the parts I want off of it I would not even think about it. I called the local yards and they offered me $64 for the Wagoneer, jerks! I called the local Jeep dealer to see how much it would run to completely replace everything on it and they are going to call me back. I would have the engine replaced, tranny redone, x-fer redone, everything so that I would essentially have a new vehicle with a cool warranty. I just get tired of constantly wrenching on my dang CJ. Every week almost something goes wrong!!! I have a couple days to make up my mind so I can at least sleep on it and run price checks on everything. I already am waiting on calls from the Chevy and Jeep dealerships for engine specs and costs. Turns out the Chevy place said an injected 350 would be $3400 and I chould expect to get 10-15 M.P.G. I can get a hare over ten with a built S.B. and a 4-barrell set at sea-level and running at 3600 feet. (I know I will reset it this weekend.) If I can find someone to buy the Wag for a parts vehicle I would probably just drive it there and then remove the axles. AARRRRGGGGHHHHHH I have to just think about this for a day or two and see how things go. Thank you to everyone who has looked at or contributed to tis post. I might reserect, spelling, this post in a day or two.
THANX

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 08:43 PM

Why does eveybody find such good deals, Get it. If you parted it out you could probably get atleast a grand parting it out. Also not sure on milage on the 360, I'd probably not rebuild it and throw an aftermarket tbi on it and it might get ok milage, if anything else you could keep it as a spare, also keep the drivetrain as a spare. it will work, you will just have to move spring perches. Do you know how much all the stuff you want will cost, I'd get a warenteed rebuilt engine and trans, maybe t-case if you do, it's in good shape though 77k for a fs cherokee.
Barrel Roll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 03:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

$2400 for a rebuilt 360 installed with a 50,000 mile warranty, 3400 for a fuel injected 350, 3250 for a 4.3 vortec uninstalled on both. I have yet to call summit and see what the injection kits go for. Not sure about tranny. I did not get to drive it tonight do to a winter storm. I am supposed to drive it tomorrow at about 4:30. I am just going to be moving so much so soon I am having a hard time deciding what to do. I know I could get my money back out of it and then some if I parted it out and then just call the wrecker to haul it away for free if they don't bring it back. I just do not know what I would do with it while moving. What I really need is a front wheel drive car or a subaru, either would be used, that gets decent mileage. I got a modified SmallBlock up to 10 MPG. I have a goal of 12 MPG. I just need something with better mileage and more dependable. I will figure it out soon enough.
THANX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, Read the Bio for the rest [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heck, just buy the Cherokee, get a towbar, and tow the CJ to your next locale! You can get the CJ fixed up and have the FSJ (Full-Sized Jeep) to drive in the meantime. After that you could fix up the Cherokee's body (Raybucks sells body parts) and use it in the winter. As for the motor, 77,000 isn't that many miles; my Grand Wagoneer has 194,000 miles on it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Just make sure you check the frame by the gas tank for rot, as this is a common problem area. The frame is fixable, but you have to drop the gas tank to do it. Just be careful, this may be the start of the commonly known "collection addiction" which usually leads to a garage and driveway full of Jeeps!

Bob N
"Think your new truck is better, let's go wheeling and see"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode