Temp. Guage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Temp. Guage

Just bought my first jeep and have a question already. I don't understand my temp gauge. 1989 yj, 180 thermostat, temp guage goes up to 125. Overheat marks are say between 115-125. Needle usually at about 75.Is this normal? 75 degree's? Has the six w/5spd. by the way. 125 deg. tops on a temp. guage?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Temp. Guage

I don't think that is the factory guage. I've got an 89' and it shows temps up to 240 degrees. Which is the overheating mark. The Jeep runs at around 195-200 even with a 180 degree thermo....

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is That in Celsius?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 87 YJ's gauge goes up to 260 with the red starting at about 240......usually runs between 200-210 (smack dab in the middle) Actually when I bought the Jeep the gauge didn't work so I just bought a mechanical 15 dollar job from AutoZone and installed that. Funny thing is that I thought I took out the old gauge's sensor to mount the new gauges sensor. New gauge works fine, but imagine my surprise when the factory one started working again too!! Which leads me to my next question: What was the sensor that I took out for? It was screwed into the side of the block, drivers side, maybe 6 inches from the back of the engine. It had a grooved "press on" connector and the sensor was brass. Any ideas?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I stand corrected... My guage also goes up to 260 degrees. 240 being the overheat mark. Sorry for the confusion.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:47 AM

i think you have a celcius gauge face. 125 degrees celcius is 257 degrees farenheit. 100 celcius is 212 farenheit. 75 celcius is 167 farenheit. 180 C is 83 F. hope this helps! matt

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks everyone. Didn't think anything about it being metric. The face just has the numbers on it. I'll have to put a regular gauge in it when spring get's here for my piece of mind. Again Thank's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode