stock lower gears in 4 cyl CJ's?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

stock lower gears in 4 cyl CJ\'s??

hey, just looking around, read some things about 4 cylinder CJ's having lower gears, like 3:73's or 4:10's...any of this true?? Need to be widetrac ones. I imagine i could get a junkyard to trade my axles plus some cash for a set of these for less than that jeep shop wanted for one axle worth of used 4:10 gears ($375). I can change axles, but i really don't think i have the ability to change gears, and don't want to have to trust them if i end up doing them. And plus, i really don't have a lot of cash into my axles quite yet, just some brakes, and i'll just keep that stuff for my new ones (if they even exist). Anyway, anyone know the answer to this one?

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: stock lower gears in 4 cyl CJ\'s??

I wouldn't be suprised by this... My 81 CJ5 has a 4cyl and I believe its got 4.10 gears. Narrow track[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, some of the 4cyl. Engines used 4.10 gears. I can't remember which years. I purchased a set of 4.10 gears with limited slip for $150.00, a guy with a small gear shop set them up for $150, old guy does most everything by looks and gear mesh patterns. If you don't have the money to purchase new gears, you may be better off trying to locate the complete axles as you have mentioned. 4.10 gears are hard to come by, but if you are persistant you can find them.

J just
E mpty
E very
P ocket!!

'85 or is it a '98?? Cj-7 33x12x15" BFG 2.5" Rancho 258 T-176 Almost EVERYthing Rebuilt or Replaced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 03:19 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I don't know if this helps you at all, but a few on the midsize board claim 4.10s in all 4 cyl XJ/YJ/MJ. So YJ's yes, CJ's not sure, but I would guess it. These 4's don't make a ton of torque or HP's but they run good and long.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 07:36 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

4.10s in 4 cyl YJs is a fact - I did it to my YJ 6 cyl. I don't have the expertise to install gears either, but anyone can install new complete axles, even me. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I understand this info does you little good, as the original question was about CJs, but for others reading the thread - be careful when you swap YJ axles - I have an 88, and put in 90 4 cyl axles, and there is a lot of difference - the front rotors, calipers, and brake lines are all different - couldn't use my existing stuff, and the rear brakes are smaller on the 90+ axles - my 88 axles had larger brakes [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The e brake cables were also different in back (but I made mine work) and the rear flex brake line is different - couldn't use my 88, it wouldn't mount to the axle.

Good luck to all (and sorry I couldn't answer the orig. question [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img])
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode