Another 3.73 and 35" tire question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another 3.73 and 35\" tire question

I plan on running 35" MT/R's on my TJ with 3.73's and a 5 speed. I also have a D-44. I plan on a gear swap eventually, but I will run the stock gears for a while. My question is will the engine be up to the task for a while? What will my on road performance be? Thanks.

'98 TJ Sport, 31" BFG's (for now), Tera 3", No-Slip in the Dana 44, Turbo City engine mods, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Another 3.73 and 35\" tire question

Now the more I think about it I wouldn't have put 33" tires on my Jeep. At first I had 2.71 gears or something close to that, and I swapped my 31" for 33" tires. Ok, but really had no power. I recently put 4.10 gears in, and they were way to low. Not sure if someone messed with the tranney, anyhow I had to change to 3.31 gears. Now I am looking at changing the axles to 1 piece axles because I spun a hub from the drag of the bigger tires. As I look back I would have preferred to just have the 31" tires, and leave it at that. Once you get bigger tires the price tag goes up exponentially.

J just
E mpty
E very
P ocket!!

'85 or is it a '98?? Cj-7 33x12x15" BFG 2.5" Rancho 258 T-176 Almost EVERYthing Rebuilt or Replaced
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 03:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you still have the 4.11 gears would you be willing to sell them or trade and what all would I need to do to my stock 20 rear carrier, presently 3.54 gears. I assume you had a Dana 30 up front and that you did not do a swap to find some other axle with a two piece rear rather than the 20.
THANX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, Read the Bio for the rest [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 03:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you still have the 4.10 gears would you be willing to sell them or trade and what all would I need to do to my stock 20 rear carrier, presently 3.54 gears. I assume you had a Dana 30 up front and that you did not do a swap to find some other axle with a two piece rear rather than the 20.
THANX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, Read the Bio for the rest [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 07:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm guessing you have the Straight 6. 3.73 and 35's will drag you down a little but it just depends on how you drive. I would just drive it and see how you like the rpm range your getting. I can tell you going from 3.73 to 4.11 is not a big jump and you probably wont tell a whole lot. However, going from 3.73 to 4.56 gears you'd be able to notice that!! You can contact people like Drivetrain Direct and they can tell you what your rpm's will be at what mph with 35" tires and what ever gear your wanting to go to. So get that info, if they told you at 60mph you'd run 2700 rpm's with 4.56 gears and 35" tires then drive around with the setup you have now at that rpm (might have to do it in 4th gear to keep from getting a ticket ---- then you'll know how that rpm feels and see how you'd like it at your normal cruising speed. You may find out you want the rpms a little lower or higher depending on how your motor sounds, reving too high or low.

John
89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:42 PM
Veteran

Don't know if this will do you any good or not but here's my situation. I've got 3.31's and I'm running 33's at the moment. I have very good on road performance. Excellent acceleration from a standing start and when done at highway speeds. I am assuming that since my on road performance is right up there my off road grunt will also be acceptable. The fine print to that is I'm running a fresh 304 but not "beefed" up in any major way. I intend on moving up to 35's and have pretty much settled on the 3.73 gearing. I am also running an automatic, which tend to deal a little better with gearing that may not be quite in the area it should be. All I can say is my setup doesn't seem to working all that hard to get things rolling as it sits so I am fairly confident in my new gear choice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode