4L60E Problem-Rocket Scientist Needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4L60E Problem-Rocket Scientist Needed

I'm having a local shop do an engine/transmission swap, and they are stumped. They have installed a 1998 5.7L OBD-II engine and 4L60E tranny that came out of a donor vehicle (Suburban) as a pair.

Here's the problem. With the vehicle stationary, the engine runs fine, with no error codes, and all sensors showing normal activity on the scanner. The transmission is fully functional with the vehicle on jack stands and connected to an independent transmission test device. Butů.when the ECM is connected to the transmission, all signals, controls, and status are present, but the transmission defaults to a "limp" mode, second gear only. There are no error codes present for either the engine or the transmission! If they put the transmission in gear, the torque converter locks up and stalls the engine.

They're baffled. I'm baffled. Does anybody have an idea what might be going on here?

Steve

[Remove the SpamX to reply via email]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 05:38 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: 4L60E Problem-Rocket Scientist Needed

Time to grab you manual and see what trips the lock up. The rpm sounds a little too low to trip. Have you moved around the wiring harness? Often spurious signals can be emitted by other parts of the vehicle and enter into the wiring to, or from, the transmision harnss and cause lots of unusuall stuff. You may want to try shielding the harness.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Larry,

Hummm (thinking), that could be. They are using a Howell wiring harness to adapt the 1998 5.7L OBD-II engine / 4L60E tranny to the 1986 CJ-7 harness. They claim to have traced every wire that connects to the tranny to verify the correct routing. I'm not sure how much they have messed with the harness. Looking at the manual (I bought the whole 1 ft tall stack of factory manuals), lots of stuff will command "limp" mode, and several conditions will erroneously lock up the torque converter, but they all throw an error code when they do it. They're not seeing any error codes, which makes your idea sound plausible. Extra, erroneous signals commanding limp mode and causing the torque converter to lock, without a error condition being present, and no error code is thrown.

>>You may want to try shielding the harness.

What would work good for this, some of that foil backed heat resistant wrap? I shouldn't have to shield the individual wires in the tranny harness, right?

Thanks for the suggestion, Larry

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Steve

(originally from Marshfield, WI., now living in northern CA. Yes, I remember rust<G>)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:14 PM
Way Outta Control

Sheilding the harness down to the transmission, and back, will prevent any radiated signals from entering the harness. Try wrapping it in Aluminum Foil the whole lenght. It'll look kinda stupid, but will provide good shielding. If the problem persists, the problem is in the harness itself, or truly the trnasmission is being told to lock up higher up in the food chain.

Try unhooking one wire at a time that could be responsible for lock up and then seeing if the problem persists, or changes. If it persists, it ain't the one, if the problem goes away... that's probably the cause.

However, you said it works normally on the tester? If so, what's different about the testers "ECM" than the one you have. There could be an EPROM difference or a step difference that's masking problems.

Just start elimnating the posibilities one by one, and pretty soon you'll have the problem to where you can handle it.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the advice Larry. It gives me a couple of avenues to explore that I hadn't considered.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode