Difference in hoods? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Difference in hoods?

When I bought my scrambler, it came with two extra hoods (among other things). I was looking at them the other day, and both of the extras have an indention on the driver side, the hood I'm using does not. This indention is about a foot from the front, one inch long, half an inch deep, and is the same on both hoods, so it appears factory. \____/ That's sorta the general shape of it from the side of the hood, upside down though. I know thats a pretty sad illustration, but the best I could do. I was wondering if this was used on certain years/models of jeeps. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Difference in hoods?

Yep, I know exactly what you are talking about. Not real sure what the purpose of that indentation was, but it is definitely a built-in factory feature (if that's what you want to call it). Both my dad's '77 CJ-7 and a friends '78 CJ-7 have that indentation in their hoods. Like you, I don't know what it is for... maybe it's just one of those unexplainable features from the Jeep Corp. Sort of like the classic driver's side lean, and the gradual switch from the JEEP stamping to the JOOP stamping. And no, I'm not trying to bring up either of these debates again [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 06:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

I believe the indentations are for the radiator cap. The rad. cap on my '79 is in middle of hood. Indentation in hood in middle. Rad. cap for '85 was on drivers side. Indentation is on drivers side. Once more grills are different. Cut-out for rad. is deeper in in the '85. Hood latch is smaller. Rad. from '85 will not fit into '79s grill because brackets are located farther toward back side of rad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:15 PM

I believe the indent in the driver's side may be to allow a cord to be run to the engine compartment for an electric engine warmer. But that's just a guess.
There's one on my '57 and '77 CJs but not one on my '83.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 06:06 PM
Official Historian

it may even be a carry over from the m38a1. i think they had a wiring harness running to the blackout driving light mounted on the drivers fender.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i like the hood warmer idea.. my 84 hood never had it.. but this one i have now is from a 78 and it has that indent.. it has nothing to do with the radiator.. since its half way up on the drivers "side" of the hood.. or it could be for a winch remote cable.. underhood arb cooler cigerette hook up cord.. or for a trouble light.. front axle breather line.. let the indent be your imagination.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:24 PM

OK OK
Just for informational purposes [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I saw a recall notice for the driverside lean when I was looking up recalls for 1980 CJ-7,there was actually some kind of kit avaliable to fix it ,thats about as Interested in it that I got,and I have since forgotten the web address where I saw it.....DUH!!!!

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:53 PM

Ive always thought it was sometype of snorkel thing from an M38a holdover.

Im sure some military/jeep history buff will fill us in.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 10:45 PM
Official Historian

the snorkel was on the passengers side. there was a removable panel for the snorkel to pass through the hood. (i have an m38a1 that's how i know.)

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 01:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Just to add...my dad's '78 CJ-5 has this relief, my '83 CJ-7 does not. We thought maybe it was for a hydraulic hose for a plow kit? Just another feeble attempt at a guess.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode