young STL jeeper needs help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

young STL jeeper needs help!

Hello to all. I am sure some of you are aware of my situation. My parents said they dont want a repair shop in the garage. Then I toasted an engine two weeks ago and got a direct order from the parents to get rid of it. The problem is if i sell it i will loss a ton of money and end up with a 88 honda. So i am looking for someone to help me out. Alls i need is a back yard and a few pointers in the right direction. I can trade my services for this help. Pretty much any manuel labor job you can think of i can do to include cutting lawns, building decks, painting houses. Thanks for your help.

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 08:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: young STL jeeper needs help!

Tim you should try poting your situation on some of the other boards because any simpathetic four wheeler who is a good mechanic an has some room to spare could help you out.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim,
I feel your pain. My parents are tryingto get me to sell my Jeep too. I refuse. My dad is sick of my Jeep all over his garage and my mom doesn't wasnt to spend anymore money on it. Fortunatly they are letting me keep it. Good luck, i hope something works out for you.

If you can't break it, Try Harder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Well i sat down with my parents today and really talked though it all. They are not against me rebuilding a jeep. What they are against me doing is spending money on something that i dont know how to do. And i need to have reliable transportation. So I agreed with them that i would learn how to do all this stuf before attemping it on my own. That means that this jeep will be sold to pay for reliable transportation and or college funds. In the future (hopefully soon) i can get another project with easlier potental. So on to the next step...
Does anyone know how to get a job at a mechanic shop? I think to be a mechanic you have to go to trade school and join a union. Does anyone know if shops hire unskilled workers to do b.s. work? Anyone know a shop that needs some workers?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 11:13 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>I posted to this on another board, but had some other thoughts. You'll really take a bath selling it with a bad engine. You should really try to get one in there that at least runs. If nothing else, "Swamps" on Gravois used to have complete 304's new in the box in their basement (don't know if they still do). Kind of an expensive way to go, but might be better than selling a non-functional Jeep for pennies on the dollar. Good luck!</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 01:01 PM
RedSandDog

Gotta agree with TEX. If you sell the CJ like it is you will lose your a$$. Try to find a running 304 around somewhere, slavage yard, newspaper, someplace. Some engine rebuilders will swap out a motor for a reasonable amount. Even if you end up selling it, it will more than pay for itself.

Or store the CJ until you can come back and do what you need to. Selling it while not running is not a good way to go. Been there. Done that. Woulda bought the T-shirt but couldn't afford to.

Say, that wouldn't have a T-18a four speed and a Dana 300 in it would it? 'Cause if it does forget what I said, what you probably re-eeaally want to sell it to me, cheap.

'74 CJ-5, 258, NP435, D44 w/LockRite
(OK, well the np435 is in the garage next to the Jeep)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I feel your pain

Reading your post was the scariest thing in the world ot me. My name is also tim, and a few years ago i also taosted my engine (did you know that water doesn't compress?). This is where our situations differ-but not that much. My parents bailed me out--to some extent. They paid for the replacement rebuilt engine, and i owed them $2000.

Now, our stories get similar. So, in order to pay for the work, i got a job at the local Goodyear. (this was between my junior and senior year of high school) That was the best thing i ever did. yes, you do get to do BS work for a while (oil changes, tire mounting/balacing/repair, vehicle inspections), but you learn SO much about cars in the process. i never moved up from there, (it was mostly a summer job thing) but had i wanted to, the shop would have paid for my schooling at the local JC to be a technician. you then make somewhere around 9.50-11 bucks an hour. Although you don't get the specific training to swap an engine, you will have the knowledge (and mechanic friends) to do so after not too long. The trick is, find a shop where you can get along with the guys and there is a possibility that you can move up.

I graduated from HS and now i'm home on christmas break from UC San Diego, but guess where i'm gonnna put in some hours to pass the time?

"Rednecks in chevy trucks with automatics suck"
'91 Wrangler; 6" Pro Comp Coil Conversion;
35" BigO XT's; 4.56 gears
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

yeah i agree with TEX too. But here is how the numbers crunch. Bought a real strong running jeep with a rebuilt 304/t150/dana20, a strong frame, and mostly functional. No top, rusty tub, and unsafe seats. all for 2000. I thought get a tub $1500-2000 and a top end up with a real cool jeep for about 4500-5000. WRONG. All those numbers work if you do the work your self, but 16 kid who works full time in the summer and works out for football the rest of the time doesn't have the time or tools to do that. Besides that my Dad doesn't know how to turn a wrench. So we decided that the best thing to do was to get it running and safe and then save up more money to fix it right. Well we took it to a good jeep guy who hooked us up but the total bill ended up to be 1200 and i still didn't have a top or seats or a floor. So i took it to a shade tree guy who happened to have a top. So he got 300 for the floors and 400 for the top and doors( best deal i ever got)But all that adds up $4000+. And i still have a rusty body. SO then the engine goes and that for sure is another $1000+ but this time all my money is gone and the parents have lost suport and alot of money of their own. And i dont have any means of transportation which is what i really need. If i store it i dont loss money but i dont have any transportation. Thats why i need to sell it even if i loss $2000+ on it. I know this really sucks but i dont have any other options.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim-

That is the problem with Jeeps, you can not get your money back out of them if you go to sell. The guy I bought my 78 CJ5 from spent about 8 grand or so on the Jeep within the last year before he sold it. (Not including the original cost of the Jeep!) I bought it for $3,500.

Your parents have a good point about needing reliable transportation and as you know, Jeep parts are not cheap. However, how I learned to repair automobiles was to fix what I broke when I was in high school. (I did pay for my own parts.)

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode