Any risk in 4.6 stroker 4.0? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Any risk in 4.6 stroker 4.0?

My block has been diagnosed with a bad ring or piston hole. My plug (#4) has oil all over it, and the cylinder holds NO compression in a leak down test at TDC compression stroke. The pressure pushed into the crank has caused all sorts of leaks in lower engine as well as additional pressure in valve cover.

I don't know if this was ready to go and the additional pressure from the 4.0 head and MPI caused the weak link to go, but in any case, I need to rebuild/replace short block. This highlights the advantage of doing the whole thing at once instead of relying on the short block's worthiness (It is a fairly recent rebuilt engine that show 150 +/- 4psi compression in all cylinders

A Jeep dealer mechanic races a late model comanche truck off road and has built a over bored stroker 4.0s resulting in 4.6 displacement (this is what he races his truck with). He can build me one (out of his home shop) for around $1,000. We would use the head I just finished along with my new MPI kit and replace the block with a .030 over bored 4.0 block using the 4.2 crank for longer stroke using new pistons/rods. I have read that this is a pretty good set-up.

Providing he can give me a written warranty, does anyone see any inherent problems with this set-up?

TIA, and in the mean time I have a straight 5 that leaks like the devil.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Any risk in 4.6 stroker 4.0?

Don't know about the worthyness, but I have some info you might like. For some more $ you could really stroke it to about 5.0L, maybe 5.1L(if my math is right). If you can use a 4.2 then using a 4.7 stroker kit would be nice(I think Hesco makes it, and last I checked Rosser had 2 in stock). That would be something to see a 5.1L FI I6.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Any other comments?

-raymo
Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 07:14 AM
Can't Get Enough

There is no replacement for cubic inches. And the longer the stroke the better. IMHO for off road low end grunt.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:16 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have two of these engines, and they are very reliable and sound. I could only recomment two things. One: Make sure that you balance the engine, that means the harmonic balancer, flywheel, and pressure plate. Should run about another $100.

second: Why is there a hole in number 4? make sure that your injector is good on that cylinder, and that there is no major vacuum leaks arount that area of the intake. You don't want your new engine doing the same thing.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 10:30 AM
Robert87yj

Jason,
if I'm not mistaken, Hesco's kit uses the crank from the 4.2.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

dorfs,

I don't know what has caused the ring to go bad. You mention an intake leak? Is that a common cause of rings going bad? The old intake manifold gasket was leaking between the 5 & 6 cylinders and that was 1 of about 20 reasons I went to the 4.0 head/mpi. However, when I completed the 4.0 head/mpi set up, it ran really strong. The performance loss happened all at once. So, if anything, the rings had been weakened, but were still funtioning when the upgrade was completed.

To your second point....yes, it seems like it will have to be balanced since parts from several sources will be used.

-raymo
Scrambler
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This was a stroker kit for a 258, that Rosser had. I think that when I talked with Todd Rosser he said that the company that made it was discontinuing it. He had 2 in stock, one for him and one to sell. But he has a V8 in his CJ, so unless he has anothere product there should be one there.

This kit stroked a 4.2L to 4.7L. That should be about .5L. Aren't there only 2 ways too gain c.i.? 1-stroking with a larger crank and 2-boring(only if you have to). I could be wrong. Im sure that you could use diffent pistons, shorter connecting rods or something, but I am not an engine wiz. Just leave that to someone else.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 07:55 PM

I am suprised no one has posted this link yet.....
http://bc4x4.com/tech/bryce/stroker/stroker.asp
Bob in Ma

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Maybe I should have mentioned that I have been reading that (drooling is probably fair to say as well) as a point of reference. It seems like there are people doing it, but not as many as have done the 4.0 head on the 258 motor. I would just like to know of any potential problems ahead of time.

The guy who will build it is a Certified Jeep Mechanic. I like the idea that this is the engine that he uses to race with. He really seems to know his stuff.

-raymo
Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode