BFG R.A.T. The SNOW tire - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 03:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BFG R.A.T. The SNOW tire

I know people always put down posts when they are considering a purchase...and there have been a few posts in the past few months about what tires to use in the snow on road. I just wanted to put down a post saying how totally impressed I continue to be by BFG radial all terrains. I've got a set of 31x10.50's on my pickup, it's 4wd with a locked rear end...they've got 40K miles on 'em and look to be about 1/2 worn. They are absolutely unexcelled in the snow on road, be it loose and fluffy or packed. I am again and again impressed by them. They do fine on wet roads and dry pavement as well, but I've never had a tire that worked as well in the snow. Now for deep off-road trail-breaking snow, the 32" BFG muds on the jeep do way better...But on road, the RATs are incredible. I would reccomend them to anyone. Quiet, dependable, great traction, and they hold up to loads that are greatly in excess of the sidewall rating (or so I've heard[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). Really a superior product.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: BFG R.A.T. The SNOW tire

I completely agree with you I had a set on a Blazer and was very happy with them,they also last pretty well to and are not bad for high way driving either.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:39 PM

I love the bfg it's great in just about everything. It's descent in most mud, pavement wet and dry, and most snow. We have the atko's on the cherokee (my current daily driver till I get another yj) and they are great never gotten stuck and are great on the street and pretty good in deep "off-road" snow. I've almost gotten the xj stuck once w/ the atko in snow and that was in about 2' of powder and sulsh mixed though I got out with a lot of gas, they are great for just about everything.
Barrel Roll

'95 YJ Totaled!

Currently looking for a 16 year old jeep chick with a jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree! New set of 265/75-R16s on my Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 sport! love them!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:39 PM
Wrangler88

well heres a true story, last night here in cleveland we got about 5 inches f snow in a few hours, the snow crews couldn't keep up with the snow and the streets had about 3 inches on them last night as i went t drive my girlfriend home at midnight. my dad who had just got home frmo work at 11, said that even in 4wheel drive his michelin XCL's were sliding him around and said to be careful, as seeing street lights out, snow still snowing and cars off to the sides of the road or going really sloow, this was time to really try out my BFGoodrich ALL-Terrain KO's for the first big snow, 31x10.5's i droped the transfer into 4wheel high and started on my way, i was amazed at how graceful it just cut threw the snow and after passing a cop and a having the snow plows turn onto the street iwas on behind me, i cruised t my girlfriends house, droped her off, decided to get gas, droped a movie off, and really had no problem at all driving even on the streets where no cars had been yet, it was a feeling of power and grace, even tho i know i can't let it go to my head or i'll get into an accident, but they really dig good in 3-4 inch snow and keep there traction at high rpms'.. just figure i'd add to the list! have great days guys and becareful if yu don't have set of BFG At's for the snow! :P

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 01:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a set of 245/75x16's on my Ram and they've been great. They've only got about 6K on 'em, but they are so much better than the Bridgestone MT's that I had. Those MT's did not like to roll. After I put these RAT-ko's on, my truck felt like it was rolling on needle bearings. I couldn't feel any rolling resistance at all. We (Meridian, ID) have been getting a little bit of snow at night that's making some of the streets fairly slick. Not with these tires. The only way I can get the truck to tail at all is by goosin' the go pedal. Even then, the slide is very controllable with the throttle. I'll keep mudders on my Jeep since it doesn't/won't see much street time, but I'm going to stick with these BFG's for my daily rig. They've definitely changed my mind about mudders for winter driving.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Bret

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 25/44, 32's on 15x10's,no lift yet, cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode