New arrival! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

New arrival!

OK, so I took the plunge into the Jeep world. Just bought a '91 YJ, I-6, 5sp. with 125k on it in pretty good condition. Given it's current status what would be the most economical but productive way to make it more offroad worthy? It has 31x10.5 Michelins All Seasons on it now and I like the way it handles and rides on the road. I would be driving it 2 hrs to get to trails in GWNF, VA. I would probably start with some sway bar disconnects then maybe a 1" body lift (has none now). Would that accommodate 33" tires? Also, what size the wheels could be if current thread width is same as rim width? Could I put 33s on these rims (lets say they're 15x10.5)? What would be needed for 35"s ? How much more articulation would I get with sway bars disconnected? It feels like it has medium stiffness springs. I like the gearing for now, 1st seems nice and
slow and I won't do extreme rock for some years. (at least till wife gets used to being vertical or turtle!) So, maybe finally I'd through a LockRight or TrueTrack in the rear to help out. Would this make sense? Thanks. Picture attached.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-282386-Image2.jpg (92.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New arrival!

Just Empty Every Pocket--J-E-E-P

I have a '91 as well, and recently put my third lift on it. My first recomendation is that you go nuts first, rather than replace stuff over and over.

Having said that, i have been to the 3 stages of jeepdom: a 2.5" lift with 32s, a 4" with 33s and i now have a 6" coil conversion with 35s.

Good call on the disconnnects and the 1" body lift, those are 2 things that you could do yourself that don't really cause any tradeoffs. When i put the 32s on, i really needed new gears, the stock 3.54:1 didn't cut it. However, 31s would be ok without the gear change. Moderate jeep: Keep the 31's (maybe get some mudders) and put on a 1" body or maybe a 2.5 inch suspension. if you're handy with a wrench, you could do either yourself. this wouldn't require any gear changes.

If you are gonna go for 33s, that raises the bar some. You need at least 1 3.5" suspension (4.5" is better). Be sure to get a good set of springs for this (check out rubicon express), because the high arch onthe leaves makes for a VERY stiff ride on cheap springs-trust me (don't but a pro-comp 4"). With 33s, you need new gears if you want any kind of performance on-road or off. I had 4.56's, and that was pretty low. Great off road, but you sudenly don't need 1st gear anymore. 4.10's would probably be better with today's gas prices.m if you are gonna get gears, get your traction at the same time. the labor is cheaper that way.

To go to 35's, you have to do all kinds of crazy crap (you need about 6" of lift, some fender trimming, a tailshaft conversion, some axle beef-if not new axles, etc....) that i'm sure your wife wouldn't be too into, so save that for another day.

"Rednecks in chevy trucks with automatics suck"
'91 Wrangler; 6" Pro Comp Coil Conversion;
35" BigO XT's; 4.56 gears
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think before you go out and start spending money on stuff you ought to do some four wheeling just to determine what you like to do rock climb, mud pits, trail exploring etc because that wil help you determine how you want to set up you jeep. But you should start out with some basic stuff like recovery equipment winch if you can swing it if not high lift jack,CB radio,first aid kit, jerry cans and some way to mount them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for all the good advice. I forgot to mention that it also had a 2.5" or 3" lift on it when I bought it. I definitely will go slow at first. I already drove it through some power line trails nearby and had lotsa fun doing it. I know I gotta learn a lot about driving and mechanics but I don't mind. I like to learn new stuff. I also want to see if the engine and all other things show enough promise of holding up for a while before I invest money in improving it. I'm also in the process of gathering all the trail equipment required by clubs. I thought that some sbar disconnects and revolver shackles for the rear would be a good mild start that I can build on later. Are there any issues with the revolvers in the back?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:50 PM

The general concensous on this board is that revolvers are actually counter-productive to good off-road manners. They tend to unload and make the back end hop around, especially when your hill-climbing. Definately get some mud tires, they make a world of difference. You can go 31x10.5" on 7" wide rims, so try to keep the tire about 4" wider than the rim. I 'wheeled a fairly stock '89 YJ and it went plenty of places. With your better engine and tranny, you should just go 'wheeling enough times to know what the limits are and what you want to do about it. A supple 4" lift, 33" tires, and dual lockers can take a Jeep through most of the terrain you will encounter.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 01:06 AM
Old Hand

Hello and Welcome.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Nice Jeep ya got there.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img](except for the bug deflector)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
I hope that you have as much fun with it as I've had in the 4 months that I've had my 91 YJ.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
I highly recommend the swaybar discos and a good set of tires they make a world of difference.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
As far as lifts and tires go I don't know enough about them to recomend anything.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Hope to see ya on the trail someday[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

PS. Just kidding about the bug deflector[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Donnie

<font color=red>God</font color=red>,<font color=white>Guns</font color=white>&<font color=blue>Guts</font color=blue>
<font color=red>MADE</font color=red><font color=white>AMERICA</font color=white><font color=blue>GREAT</font color=blue>
<font color=red>I VOTE</font color=red><font color=white> TO KEEP</font color=white><font color=blue> ALL THREE</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks. Ok, so since this Jeep came with some mods already on it I don't have good info on what they are exactly. How do you measure the actual suspension lift? I think the shocks have "Rough Country" printed on them but I'll check that for sure this weekend. Also since the current rims are pretty nice (and work well with the Michelins) I'd like to keep them. Since the tires are 31x10.5 and the rims are the same width as the threads does that mean that the rims are 15x10.5 ? I'm trying to find out for sure without having to pop the tire and actually measure the rim. Is the size should be printed on the rim anywhere? Also, if the rims are 10.5 can I put 33x12.5 on them? Thanks again. Btw, do others have a problem from being able to post from one location and not from another?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just guessing I'd say those rims are 15 x 8 -- not 15 x 10. Which will be better later on if your wanting to stuff those tires in your fenderwell when flexing off-road. Lockers are a great choice--31" tires will take you a lot of places. If your driving that far to go off-roading and your wife drives it often you might want to put a locker in front but a limited slip in rear. Revolvers will help flex a lot! I have no complaints with mine. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with!!

John
89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-283156-Mvc-037f.jpg (61.9 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 04:00 PM

Hey Nice Jeep, I had a yj like that until I totaled it . Oh well another one is on the way. As for tires I'd run some 31 mud tired, probably pro comp, bfg, or sport king. Don't go bigger than 31's because you only have a most likely 15x8 wheel. Also A lockright would be good, or something similar. You might be able to put 33's on with those springs though you would need to change wheels, gears, and most likely axles to go that big. Just put on some 31" muds, a lockright in the rear, make your own sway bar discos, get a tow strap, Hi-lift, gerry can, watter can, cb, fire extingusher, 1st aid kit, Full front cage, and tow hooks front and rear, yu'll be set I'd stress a full cage when I totaled my yj the winshield collapsed and if we would have be going any faster it would have been in our faces. trust me it's worth it, especially since yours doesn't even have front spreader bars. What's needed for 35's you ask? Well you pretty much need to swap out your axles, 80's grand wagoneer Dana 44 axles are a good, comon and easy swap. You also need lower gears probably 4.10's or 4.56's, Then you need the lift, atleast 4 (that the minimum, when you disconect they will rub) 6-8" is perfered, a good combo is a 4" lift spring (a high qualty, not procomp or any cheep ones), 1" lift shackle, and a 1 or 2" body lift. Then you need the tires and wheels, you should atleast get mud tires when you have 35's to get the full potential, but super swampers or baja claws are probably the best for the trail, you most likely will need a 15x10 wheel, and If I were you I'd just get steel wheels so you don't scratch and destroy aluminum wheels. That's not all you also need longer brake lines, a slip yoke eliminator and cv drive shaft, a drop pitman arm, Longer sway bars, and some more little stuff.
Barrel Roll

'95 YJ Totaled!

Currently looking for a 16 year old jeep chick with a jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode