Frozen door latches - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Frozen door latches

Walked out into the wonderful 0 degree temps this morning (well below 0 with the wind chill) to warm up the Jeep, grabbed the door handle, and it promptly popped out past the linkage leaving the handle stuck open and the door closed. Gambled and tried the passenger side, same deal. The spare tire carrier latch is frozen in a solid block of ice, so I couldn't get in that way and ended up riding to work with my wife (had to pry the side door on the van open to get our son inside). Anybody have any tips for preventing this once I get inside and work the latches loose? 10 years of Jeeping in cold climes and this is the first time I've had this problem (other than washing my Jeep in the warehouse at my old job once and having everything freeze up on the way home...had to have my wife open the hatch so I could crawl out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Frozen door latches

Had my passenger door latch pop back like that but it was in the summer. Pull the interior door panel off and and you will see the problem. A small vertical rod on the back of the latch will be bent out a bit towards the inside of the Jeep. This caused it to jump over the latch mechinism. You will see it all pretty clear. It just wears out over time and the freezing part didn't help. It this is the first time it's happened, it should still work for you. Just smack the handle on the outside and it shoudl jump back over. Now thaw the lock real well and it should open. Now open up the panel and bend the rod back. Otherwise it will just get worse now.

'88 Sahara
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:04 PM

0 degrees, HA. You should try coming up here(canada), it has been -32 C with a winchill of -45 for the past two weeks. I have found, in the years of driving in canadian winters, that some vehicles are good and some are terrible for locks and door linkages to freeze up. If your linkages are in good order and arn't bent there is nothing you can really do other than keep it in a heated garage or wire a car warmer in to keep everything from freazing. I just live with it and the odd time when everything is frozen up solid I use a propane torch on the lock and run it acroos the door where all the linkages are.

I need to get a girlfriend I'm getting to close to my jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I know about the wear part...went through 2 driver side handles on my first Jeep. This is definitely a frozen latch problem. I know I can get it back in place and get everything working again, just looking for any tips to prevent this in the future like special grease or something rather than going the trial & error route if someone has already found something that works.
BTW: I've found that the handle will last longer if you hold the inside latch open and then close both latches in sync to reposition the linkage and outside handle.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Mine did the same thing [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], but just the driver's side door. I took the door off, brought it into the warm lving room of the house [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and took the inside panel off. There is a little lever that slides against the handle thing (I know, terribly generic, but you're a bright guy, you'll figure it out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] once you take the door panel off). I had to bend the little lever inside my door back as it had bent over and worn some.

To repair your door on the Jeep, you can hold the inside opener handle thing all the way open as far as you can, and tap the outside handle back inside, and it should slip back in place, if it is as worn as mine was.

This is all assuming, of course, that your CJ is the same design as my YJ, which I think they are. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If they're not, sorry, I just wasted your time. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

As for the frozen door thing, just make sure the whole mechanism is coated with wd-40 inside the door and it shouldn't freeze up on you. That's what I did.

Good luck
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try the WD-40 route.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

You might want to reconsider using WD-40. It is a water based product and will cause more problems with freezing. Knock-er-loose(NAPA) is an oil based product which lubes and penetrates better too. Good luck.

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I've got about a half a can of Knocks 'Er Loose left...I actually used some on the spinning vents of my roof to keep them from squealing all winter long so that's pretty much proof positive that it'll hold up.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

wd-40 is a water-based product? That's news to me. How can an anti-corrosive be water-based? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I always thought it was "Water Displacer" for WD.

I don't know it's not, just asking.
Thanks,
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:58 PM

Just an Idead Jeepskat when you can get a door open put a light bulb in the jeep and turn it on all night taht should generate enough heat to keep it form freezing. I feel your pain I'm in chicago too and the door on the xj is pretty frozen it takes some force to open. Blow torches and lighters do work in an emergency, you can heat a key with a lighter and it will usually open.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!

Currently looking for a 16 year old jeep chick with a jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode