Lifts and plows...do they mix? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Lifts and plows...do they mix?

I figure I'm pretty safe with the measly 2.5" lift on my CJ-7 once I finally get my plow setup straightened out, but of course I've got that voice in my head saying "go higher". I have an opportunity to get some custom 5" lift springs to settle out a trade for the frame from Jeepskate I that's been lingering since early summer. So, any of you guys running a 4" or higher lift and still able to use a plow (just doing my driveway and probably a few neighbor's)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Lifts and plows...do they mix?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I posed this question to my moonguy-in-chief of snow removal, and this is his best theory: "If you raise the pivot points at the rear of the arms, the plow will want to dig in a little more than it does normally. Some sort of pivot-point extension(drop) needs to be fabbed up in an attempt to level out the arms. Other than that little problem, the rest is just an extension of the lift chains." [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:48 AM
Veteran

We have a 4-5" lift on our J10 shortbed pickup & 31" tires & the plow is OK - but starting to get a downward angle - we had a 2 1/2" lift & 31" tires on our CJ7 & it was OK - you have to think about the fact that not only will you yield lift from you lift springs - but I am willing to bet that you want to put bigger tires on also - that is a really big jump. If I was a bettting person - I would bet a 5" lift will cause you problems, but oh the sacrificies we must make - do you build a trailjeep or a worker jeep. That is why we bought the J10 & plow with it now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. That definitely gives me more confidence in the current setup (2.5" lift w/32's). Not really a matter of work vs. trail...not like I *really* need the extra lift, it works fine as is for what I do with it...I just feel like the runt of the litter when we go out, though that'll certainly change when my Scrambler is ready. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. The clevis frame drop looks like it'd be fairly simple to do...a couple of 1/4" steel plates with angle iron gussets bolted to the plow frame side members should do the trick.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another thing to consider...I'm not sure how sturdy the 5" lift springs are...Your lift cylinder for the plow probably only travels 5"...Ok, you've got the extra vertical movement that the arm attached to the lift ram affords, but when you pick up the plow with a standard suspension, the front of the jeep compresses, and lowers...the jeep will squat a few inches before it will lift the plow--and that's with standard springs that don't have very much travel. When you add 5" lift springs that have a great deal more room to move, and are probably more flexible...you have the potential to not be able to pick up the plow, because the front of the jeep will just squat instead of raising the plow. I've got a friend who put an 8' plow on a lifted F-150, and we got all the angles right and such, the problem was that the springs would just compress instead of picking up the plow--follow me? He was able to add those little airbags that go inside the coil springs to remedy his problem. Which worked great until he got in some heavy wet snow that stuck to the plow, and then he had to increase the pressure in the bags...until one blew. Of course, your plow is much smaller and lighter...but the suspension movement is something to consider.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm...hadn't thought of that. Gotta love the laws of Physics [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Guess I'll play it safe and pass...maybe throw on a 1" body lift in the Spring and move up to 33's if the itch is just begging to be scratched.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hate to snuff your lift dreams...It'd be easy enough to make some sorta butch solution to this problem. If you're only doing your drive and a few neighbors...you could just make a piece of metal that would fit between the top of the leaf springs and the bottom of the frame...held in place by sorta clamping around the leaf on bottom and maybe have one bolt holding it to the frame...this would prevent the springs from sagging at all...in other words, no front suspension movement when plowing. That wouldn't be all bad if you're not going to go down the road with it. You'd still have the rear suspension to accomadate uneven driveways and such.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:28 PM
jeepfreak1

Jeepskate on my 72 CJ-5 I had a 4 inch lift,there was no axle to plow frame clearance with the suspension extended.I had to make new lower mounts.I noticed on your web page that you are using a shackle reversal,this will present another problem with mounting the lower brackets.

<font color=green> JF1 </font color=green>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 07:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My buddy plows with his 67 dodge power wagon (ex forest truck). He has some kind of Huge tires on it. It made the truck able to do 50 down a straight road. Anyway. All he did was make a ladder system from the plow frame to get the hight he needed. Also to help the plow get off the ground better he found a industrial myers pump. I lot heavier and has a longer ram. he has no problem what so ever. One day i will do the same for the cj and i have no fear at all of doing it. Just remember that the plow frame should be even with the ground.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode