Custom CJ5 replacement/extension panels - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Custom CJ5 replacement/extension panels

My dad's friend has been a structural mechanic in the aerospace industry for years and is starting up his own shop. I've been telling him about my search for a replacement rear panel (where the tailgate would be) for my M38A1. He said he'd be happy to whip one up for me out of aluminum, stainless, or whatever. We then started BSing about what other Jeep products I thought there would be a market for. I mentioned I thought there would be a market for panels to extend a CJ5 tub like a CJ6. He said if there's a demand he could whip up a jig and stamp them out. I was wondering if anyone would possibly be interested in either the rear panels, the extention panels, or any other such products. His workmanship is top notch and he's just now getting started up and I'm sure he'll be swamped before too long. Just curious.
Travis

Jeeps, Jeeps everywhere but not one that runs[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Custom CJ5 replacement/extension panels

i have cut and lengthened my jeep so i know what you are talking about. the problem i see with the pannels is that everyone would have to cut their jeeps exactly the same to make them work. the other thing is different people might want to lengthen their jeep different lengths. i went to 100" but i have seen 3 others that went to 104". the lip at the top of the cj5's is fairly easy to reproduce and it would probably just be easier to have a near by metalsmith make the bends on the pannel that fits their specific needs. i'm not saying he couldn't do it but i think he should come up with a pattern for where the people sould cut their jeeps and find exactly how much length to add.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Custom CJ5 replacement/extension panels

Brian,
I figured he could make them different lengths but I see what you're saying. Having them cut and flanged already just following the line that the CJ6 used would make things easier but it's probably too much of a niche market to make it worth while. However I searched high and low for a replacement rear panel and nobody makes one or has any plans to make one. He'll be making mine very soon so if anyones wants one they should let me know so he can just whip up several at one time. The majority of the back ends on the these older 5s are trashed so I'm sure there are others who'd want one. I really like your Jeep by the way, it's just the way I wanted to build my old 5. The M38A1's too cool to stretch and I have my Commando for future family wheeling needs. Thanks for the advice.
Travis

Jeeps, Jeeps everywhere but not one that runs[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode