2100 carb. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 08:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

2100 carb.

I have a 78 I-6 with a one barrel,and would like to go with a 2 barrel.I have taken off all emissions garb and would like to keep it simple,that's what's so appealing about the 2100, or so I've read.What year carb,and vehicle,should I look in,or can I pick one up at NAPPA?

TOMMY PARKER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 08:19 AM

Re: 2100 carb.

it came on all AMC v8 if they werent 4 bbl, and it also came on a bunch of Ford V8 engines thru teh years, there are a few differnt emodels with differnt flow characteritsics even up to some pretty large V8s ( amc 360s and 401s for example).

I think folks like them because they are easy to set up and run they are cheap, and they run very well off camber and offroad.

Ive got one from a 304 if your interested, they are available from auto parts stores for about $150-$200 from Junkyards pretty cheap, and the rebuild kits are about $25 and really easy to build, abdout a 1 hour job.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks OZARK ,I really appreciate your reply!

TOMMY PARKER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:50 AM

Just to add to Ozark's comments, one of the cons you will need to know about is the problem of the wear in the base plate where the main shaft runs thru. This wears easily as it is just cast aluminum with a brass or steel (depending on model) shaft that wears against it. Test the play in any 2100 series carb main shafts before buying it at the slightly used parts store (salvage yard). If there is any slop in the shaft fit up, other than end play pass it by. Also another thing to look for in this carb is a warpped base, check this with a straight edge. This can be done real quick when carb is in hand. The base plate is very big for such a small carb and is prone to warpping on some of the larger hotter running engines, (Ford trucks and large blocks). All in all my favorite carb to use, they are very simple to set up and you can even get great float control by running in place with top half of carb off and make adjustments you can't get with a normal carb.
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:30 PM

good call on teh throttle shaft bores GPn, ive replaced a few because of that, ive heard they can be drilled and bushed, but Ive never bother since they seem to grow on trees in junkyards.

you can usually see tell tell signs of seepage below and around where the shaft enteres the carb body, thats a bad thing to spot while looking at a potential purchase.

I was unaware of the warped base plate, one thing to note though, on AMC V8 engines it uses about a 3/4 inch phenolic spacer that is becoming hard to find, it might help the sealing, since ive never experienced the warped base.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode