ON TOPIC: a lot of sick computers on this BBS! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Addict

ON TOPIC: a lot of sick computers on this BBS!

Heads up fellow BBS'ers! I have received e-mail from three different BBS'ers over the last couple of days that have been infected with the kakworm active-x virus! Please upgrade your anti-virus programs or get one ASAP!!!

Here is more info on the virus: http://www.pchell.com/internet/kakworm.shtml

Happy Anniversary and Thank You to the Frozen Chosin Marines!

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ON TOPIC: a lot of sick computers on this BBS!

Thanks Jay, I am clean now, I think? at least until some deliquent thinks another virus up.

jjc

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the heads up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 06:55 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

How about a link to a good ANT-IVIRUS program for us computer impared people??

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:01 AM

Go to your local big-name electronic retail chain-store and pick up a copy of Norton Antivirus or McAfee Virus Scan. There are others, but these two are the best known and most widely supported and are what you'll commonly see deployed at businesses. I use the Corporate Edition of Norton which protects my mail server and allows me to push installs to new machines as I add them to the LAN as well as force them to update when a new definition comes out in response to a nasty new virus as well as force scans to run since most folks cancel the scheduled scans or ignore my warnings about new e-mail borne virii and end up catching a virus as a result. There's a lot of nasty stuff out there, folks. Hanging out on the internet and e-mailing without a good, up to date anti-virus program is like dipping your wick in a bunch of bar flies without a condom...you're gonna catch something sooner or later and it could be fatal.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can't afford an anti-virus program right now go to Norton and download a free 30 days trial copy.
http://www.symantec.com

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jay
thank you for letting me know about virus.i too have cleaned my system(i hope)and bought new antivirus.i had mcafee but it did not detect this little bugger.thanks again!!

'78 cj-5 black JEEP squadron
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Yep - most won't until you upgrade the list of viri in the program.

The post above forgot to mention PC Cillin. This is one of the top rated anti-virus program right now (on the personal PC users level) and also has the free upgrades like the others. Super easy to use! If you download free trial version programs - make sure you delete them from your system and download the latest version about every month or so. That is the only way to get the latest list of viri in the program.

For DSL and Cable Modem users, a word about Symantec . . . DON'T buy their firewall!!!! It is the highest priced and least secure firewall out there. Only an 80% safe rate on a good day. (Most Symantec users will flame my behind for this statement, but every independent (industry neutral) article on it lists it the most unreliable, and it does not pass the LeakTest in stealth mode either. Symantec is doing some real damage control on this as we read and write.) Right now the best firewall in the industry (personal PC user again here) is FREE. That's right! FREE. It is called ZoneAlarm, and is available at http://www.zonelabs.com/zonealarm.htm.

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 07:09 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Or you can go herehttp://antivirus.cai.comand for FREE get an excellent anti-virus program . Works great , reminds you to auto update your definitions and will do it all for you , good for the computer illiterate. I can`t believe people are on the net without virus protection .Problem being you infect EVERYONE and dont even know it . Some of the nastier ones can render your hard drive useless FOREVER . JAY , I feel for ya man . My best friends Dad`s computer got a Kak and he`s been battling it for a few days now , even tried FDisking & formatting and redoing the MBR but it still won`t go . It`s a real nasty one . Good Luck

Jeff ( Running InnoculateIT Anti-Virus)

<font color=red>
1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Dear Santa :<font color=blue><font color=black> I would like : Front & Rear Lockers, Jeep T18 ,CJ5 Tilt Column </font color=black>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Well I didn't actually get the kak. My server rejected the email before I got it. It does show up but doesn't run itself in Juno. You can actually change the execute command in Juno and then harmlessly cut and paste it for others to see if they don't believe they are infected. Tell your Dad's friend that the kak is relatively easy to get rid of now that they know how it works. Complete directions for removing it are in the link above, and once you install the security update patch for Outlook from Microsoft, it will not run itself again unless you tell it to!

Trust me. The worst I ever got was NetBus through ICQ (not really a virus, but a spyware I guess.) This is much much worse in my opinion! Virus scanners will tell you that they removed it, but it is still cloaked in your system. I did figure out how to get rid of that one though! For those of you infected with that one: I bought the actual NetBus program for $15, installed it, checked for the server's existance, then clicked "remove server" and uninstalled the program! It took off the patch of who ever netbussed me in the first place!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode