FLy Wheel, bump, thump, & Wiggle!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FLy Wheel, bump, thump, & Wiggle!!

I am about to pull out the shot gun and start blasting! I posted on this a couple of nights ago and got a couple of things to try and did all this and now what?

Here is a recap on the 1st post. When I start my Jeep to warm up it really vibrates (wiggle's as my Jeep Chick states). It only does this after the high speed idle has kicked in and running at 1500 RPM's. Once I have hit the gas and it goes to 1000 RPM's it stops. It also does this when driving in D1, D2, & Drive when it reaches 1500 RPM's or 30 to 35 miles per hour in Drive. I can also hear something bumping or thumping underneath the transmission hump in my Jeep. At 1st I thought this is a u joint but they seem tight. It has also made this noise once while in park and the front of the Jeep slightly down hill. I have been unable to recreate this in park when I could get underneath and look for it. It will not do it in 4WD. I think maybe the engine is out of balance cause be the fly wheel possible being out of spec somehow. Does this make any sense and how could I check. I am hoping for a way without pulling the transmission. I have a 1983 CJ7 with 258, TF 999, D300, D30 up front, and AMC 20 with 1 piece axles in it. We are getting snow right now and I sure would like to take the Jeep out tomorrow without worry about doing some serious damage. Any other idea's as to what I should check?

TIA
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 11:48 PM

Re: FLy Wheel, bump, thump, & Wiggle!!

make sure all of hte engine mounts arent broken, and that the tranny to skidplate mount is intact.

is it hte originall flexplate, or have you ever swapped it?
when did this "wiggle" start?

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Ozark,
Are you getting any of this snow we are getting in Joplin, MO? News said up to 12 inches.

I have checked the motor mounts, they look good. I looked at the transmission mount and thought it looked like it could be loose. Dropped the skid plate and tighted everything I could find up. Put skid plate back on and tightened it. I think it is the original flex plate, but not sure. I have been fighting this for a week and half. It started while driving on the street. I haven't been off road much in a month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:51 AM

yeah buddy the snow ended a few hours ago ( about 2 inches total) now Ive got this nicve sheet of ice forming on everything.

well Itll be nice when the wife gets home from work, so I can goto sleep. I dont want to get called out of bed to yank her out of a ditch.

what has made you determine that the wiggle is in the engine? could it be tire or steering related?

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 10:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My guess is that the flexplate is hanging by a thread. While you are at it, check the tranny-to-engine bolts as well. Ours were run loose by the previous ownner and it wiped out the flexplate AND waddled out the holes in the engine block. We went to studs instead of bolts and used some nice oversize nuts with standard nuts on top of them as a lock. It cured the wiggle, thump, and knock.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

12 inches of fresh snow on the ground and it is still snowing like crazy. I could not help myself and took the CJ out in the snow. What ever it is once it got packed with snow it went away. I am sure it will be back. I have concluded it to be in or attached to the engine by process of elimination. I start at the back of the Jeep and worked forward checking things and I am now at the engine. It is wiggling while in park and nothing else is moving at that time. I wouldn't think it would be caused by a tire or steering at this time. Other than you can see the steering wheel vibrating. This is very noticeable while it is parked and idling at 1500 RPM'S.

Thanks,
Tom

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Flex plate is tight. I double checked. Good idea on the tranny-to-enigine bolts, this I have not check and will as soon as the snow melts off. I have it in the garage right now with a heater on. I just had to play in the 12 inches of snow and there is 6 more inches expected before the end of today. I will post again as soon as I get the tranny-to-engine bolts checked.

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode