THE NEW JEEP KJ????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

THE NEW JEEP KJ?????

I was reading the latest edition of 4WD & Sport Utility the other day and I came across an article on the new Jeep KJ.
I think it looks like a cross between a Cherokee, a Kia sportage, and a Mercedes Benz suv.
I think it will definitly take some getting used to, but it could grow on a person.
Things I like about it: Best factory articulation of any suv, less rear overhang than a cherokee, four doors for the kids and friends, and the factory ground clearance it has.
Things I don't like: Small factory tires, IFS, IRS, no stock winch, or the funny bra thing they have on the front of it.

Has anybody else seen this new Jeep I am talking about?
Let me know if you find out anything else on it that the magazines don't tell us.

Let the comments begin.

"I see." the blind man said to the deaf woman.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 10:35 PM

Re: THE NEW JEEP KJ?????

A while back, Chrysler or Jeep or BMW or whoever the hell they are were talking about a new model called the "Varsity". I saw a picture of it somewhere and it may be what you are describing.

Rockcrusher
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 02:05 AM
chasejeep7

Play around in this site for awhile. Be sure to check the 'buzz' site.

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b111300.htm

See Jayme ASAP
<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 06:48 AM

I read the same article and unless I read it wrong the article said "The best articulation of any IFS suv on the market". Other than that I agree with you about the cross between the KIA and Mercedes, and the IFS. I really hate to see Jeep fall into the same catagory of all the other SUV's. IFS and good highway manners at the expense of good offroad manners.
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]BLAH[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Jeep/IFS.... no sir, don't like it.
The Cherokee is still selling well why butcher it? I'd own a Cherokee if I hadn't been a roll over in one and learned the importance of frames.
Travis

Jeeps, Jeeps everywhere but not one that runs[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:18 PM
Addict

Yep, that pic is the kj. Not to be confused with the varsity. That bra thing you've been seeing is masking. Jeep will unveil the kj at the auto show in detroit in january. I live about an hour from the chrysler proving grounds, I have seen three kj's on the road and one the other day when I went to lunch. Some guys from chrysler were cruising around critiquing it . I will see another one this week or next. There will be one coming to my plant. The new jeep needs a damper for the output shaft on the transfer case on the standard shift models . We are supplying the damper.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did it have IRS? Looked like a solid axle to me.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My dad works for Jeep in Toledo[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. HE will be working on the KJ at the new plant, well sort of he's an electrician at Jeep now. Personally I don't like it. It is agains everything I thought Jeep stood for. I think it looks too much like the forign jobbys. And the name of the KJ is the Liberty. They had to come up with a different name because the Cherokee production and sales are so high. New Jeeps are starting to not apeal to me. I don't like the look of the TJ (no offence TJ owners). The Cherokee is of but now with this new KJ. Errr.. makes me sick [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]to think about what is becoming of Jeep. I wish I had the money to buy out Jeep. I'd put the CJ back into production[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].Sorry just venting,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]But I really don't like the new Jeep...

Kyle

If you can't break it, Try Harder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did someone say IFS and articulation in the same sentence? I hope NOT!

IFS doesnt articulate. "Articulation" is limited to suspension travel.

You need SOLID (real) axles to articulate, boys....

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

SOAyj, I went back and looked at the magazine pics and it does have a solid rear axle.
I was wrong.
Guess I should have had the mag in front of me when I was writing the post.

The Jeep has one solid axle, so I guess it can articulate some, eh?
In the pics it looked like that was the only part of the suspension moving when they went over rocks.
With that out in the air I will say it was half heartedly articulating, ok?
Take care.

"I see." the blind man said to the deaf woman.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode