CJ7 or YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 04:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ7 or YJ

Hey, Im looking to buy a new Jeep. I would like to know if I would be better of with a CJ7 or a YJ. It will basically be a all-around jeep. I will be mudding, trail riding,etc etc. Im also going to install 35" boggers.
So which would be a better choice for a Jeep.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 05:02 PM

Re: CJ7 or YJ

It doesn't really matter.
You can't put 35" boggers on either one w/o MAJOR mods.
Lots-o-lift, new front and rearends.
Have fun, just remember you gotta build it to fit your needs.

Lead , follow , or WINCH ME OUT!!!!
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the Jeep is also for a daily driver, I would recommend the YJ. The later CJ's had pretty well the same running gear as the YJ other than the vacuum disconnect on the YJ front axle and the injected 4.0 on the later YJ's. The on road handling and comfort are better in the YJ due to refinements in the steering and suspension but all that goes out the door with the mod's needed for 35"s. The CJ was more bare bones in the interior but carpet kits are available and they were a bit noisier ie wind and road noise but again the road noise isn't and issue with the mod's for 35"s. The YJ has a stronger, more rigid frame and a few tecnology upgrades but you need to decide which interior and headlight look you like best and which one you can get for the better deal in the best shape. Remember, the newest CJ is 15 years old. The after market is crawling with stuff both with the mod's you'll need to do, it comes down to the engine choice, and look.

'88 Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, yes this will be for a daily driver also. How rare was the 304V8 in the CJ7?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had both 95 yj and a 78 CJ7... Both were/are daily drivers... I sold the YJ in favor of the CJ7 since I wanted the power of a V8... so I decided I'd get the CJ.. Either way it comes down to the Engine and comforts....

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a few years ago i would have told you to never buy a yj. but i have mature in the last couple of years.
here is the deal. if you like working on cars and fixing and doing some restoration. . then get a cj. if you don't like to do the work and are looking for a good base vehical to bolt on parts to go off roading then a yj would be better. but you might be able to find a cj that has already been some what restored. or is in very good condition. they cost alot more. i bough mine for 2500 bucks it had a good engine and a decent frame thats about it. i have spent alot of time replaceing the floors and general sprucing up. i also had to put a new tranny in it too. i still have to do more frame work and body work before i get to do the fun stuff. hope this helps some

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,well I like the looks of the wrangler better than the CJ7, and I dont really care if it has carpet or not. How big does the 304 in the CJ7 compared to the I-6 258 in the YJ
thanks

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

alot of the 258s have carberator problems. but there are solutions to the problems. i have a 304 in mien and my best friend has the 258. and there is no comparson. i blow his doors off evey time and he never comes close. but that also has to do with out differt tire and gear combos. one thing i like about the 304 is you can bolt in a 360 and use al the parts off of the 304. thats what im planning to do.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, I see. How much lift do you need to fit 35's under a CJ7, YJ

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

probably 4 inch suspension and maybe a 1 inch body lift. you can't just slap a lift on and bolt some 35s on though. you would want to gear down. and thats cost alot if you dont do it yourself. you wouldn't beable to use your 35s for much more than looks. you need lower gears to be able to turn those 35s and if you want to drive it on the highway at all you will need to gear down. i dont know much about yjs though. i think you have a dana 35 in the rear and their not that tuff. my friend broke an 35 axel shaft. he upgraded to a dana 60. custum built for his jeep.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode