Looking for x-fer case options - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looking for x-fer case options

If you already read this post on the Chevy Forum, Sorry.

I drive a Jeep and therefore know I will have to replace my tranny without warning even though it was running fine the day before, sometime in the future when I least expect it. I have a Quadratach x-fer case with a turbo 400 that came stock. I figure that if my tranny goes I would too much in machine work and rebuild work to have it fit up to any other x-fer case and would rather get a different tranny to solve this prob. I thought about it and I think that a turbo 350 from Jet performance transmissions would work behind a built small-block just fine. (Look at Sam's jeep from Sams Off-road.) The turbo 350 is shorter, takes less H.P. to make work, and seems to be able to take a beating. I was just curious as to what transfer case will bolt up to this tranny with minimal effort, read that no adapters- too much $$.$$. I am looking for a beefy x-fer that is gear driven and has an optional gear replacement kit to lower the crawl ratio. I would also like one that is short in length if possible to help with driveline angles, but this is not a deciding factor. I know I can just order the Atlas II and be done with it but ouch, they are a lot of $$. So, if you have an idea let me know.

THANX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 03:48 PM
Official Historian

Re: Looking for x-fer case options

for no adapters and passenger side drop, you'll be able to use any transfer case chevy used in their solid axle trucks. i think that will be np203, maybe np205, np207, np208. that's all the ones i'm familiar with. if you are keeping the amc v8, the trans, transfer case you have isn't that bad. i got my trans rebuilt last year for $225 including a new torqued converter and spent $100 for a chain. i'm good to go for another 180k for the trans and about 40k for the chain. good luck.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 03:49 PM
Official Historian

a thought just occurred to me. i don't think any transfer case will bolt up without an adapter but the ones listed above have factory adapters that should be easy to find in a junkyard.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The problem that you're going to run into is your offset rear differential. All of the transfer cases that will bolt up with no adapters require a centered rear differential. The only case that's worth a damn that bolts up is the NP205. Personally I don't like it because it only has a 2.05 low range and they hang down so low. If it were mine I would adapt a Dana 18 to the T350. Out of curiosity, what makes you think that your 400 is going to go out on you. That's a beefy and very dependable transmission.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 05:18 PM

like WILL said nothing bolts up without an adapter except for what you have, But some of the adapters and output shafts are easier to find than others, some Fullsized Jeeps in the early 70s used a th400, and a dana 20, the dana 20 meets your criteria well, its short, strong, has deeper gearsets, and it will bolt up to a th400 provided you are able to find one in a factory application this way

I dont understand why you would want to swap a th400 for a th350 though, the th400 is as strong as Automatic trannys get, stronger than a built 350 even.

You might be better off with a part time kit in the Qtrack.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 05:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm with Ozark on this one. Those TH-400's DO suck up horsepower, but they are strong as can be. The QT IS available with the planetary underdrive unit in case yours is not so equipped, you can bolt one on. Our Jeep is a 304/TH-400/QT and we like that combo real well. If I did not have that combo already in the Jeep, my second choice would be a transplant of what we have in our FS GM 4X4, and that is a 350/SM4645/NP205 setup. JeepN from Maine has that in his Jeep but I think it's behind the four-banger. Of course it means you swap the rear axle for a centered unit. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tom elliston from sunray engineering (they build the ford 9"/dana60 hybrid front ends) runs a chevy 208. actually alot of the guys he runs with run them too. the 208 is actually a stout x-case and if you held the output shaft up to a dana300's you would be suprised. they are alot bigger. they have a low range in the 2.7x range wich is also very respectable. the problem with them is the aluminum case. they need a good skid plate to keep them away from the rocks and tom sugguest using a chevy style drive shaft. the splines on the slip yoke are small and will slide easier than the larger jeep style. also keep them greased well. he says that if the yoke does not slide well it will bind and could cause damage to the case. he and the guys he runs with run high horse power motors and are not afraid to use them in the rocks. they all have had good luck with them. the np208 of coarse can be made to bolt to a th350.sure the 203 and of coarse the 205 x-cases are very stout units but they lack the low range that you might be lookin for so the 208 would be a logical choice.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 08:13 PM

high5, Im not sure if you mean by the yoke sliding, do teh GM np208s have a splip yoke on the rear?

If they do then maybe you could swap the rear half of a Fullsized Jeep 208 witht he front of a GM 208 and get the good 2.6:1 lowrange, AND have a regular driveshaft flange on both outputs.

Ill agree also, its a very strong case, and usually gets an unfounded bad rap.

I had one in a 360 powered 1/2 ton cherokee, and I pretty much learned to wheel in that rig so I wasnt easy on it at all, and it never gave any trouble.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:40 AM

If you are keeping the AMC engine, a TF-727 is a good transmission to swap to. It is shorter than a TH-400 and supposedly just as strong, if not a little stronger. A Dana 300 will bolt right up to it, as will any New Process 'case since they share the "standard" 6-lug circular pattern. You can find TF-727s in any Full-Size '80s Jeep, so they are plentifull in the junkyards.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ozark, i'm talking about the drive shaft yoke where the two halfs of the d/shaft connect. i believe that the rear yoke of the np208 is fixed on the chevy version too.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode