NP231 vs Dana20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NP231 vs Dana20

Hey Guys,

This is for a good friend of mine. Besides the Slip Yoke kit that is needed and the positioning of the diff what is the differences between the dana20 and the np231?? Strenths? Weeknesses? Pro's? Cons?

Also, can it be mated to a T-18 without big fancy smancy adapters?

any input is good input

thanks a lot

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:13 PM

Re: NP231 vs Dana20

Not sure about all the other questions but yes the model 20 can be mated to a T18. All you need is the Jeep T18 and factory adapter.

Keith

C-Ya.....................kh
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i meant can the NP 231 be mated to the T-18?

thanks

[b]Boston Mangler
See It At:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why would you want to do that? Its got a weak aluminum case, and a slip yoke. It does have a better low ratio, it doesn't do much good if they're broken. Besides, dana 20's are ultra cheap, and very plentiful. The 6.32 of the T-18a helps to make up for the 2.0 low range of the 20. Go outside, start up your rig, put it in Lo and you'll see what I mean.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what is stronger, a thin 1 inch and whatever chain or a set of beefy grinding gears... a dana 20 may have a 2 to one low, but there are ways around that, and granny lows definitely make up for it too. so I'll leave you with that... oh yah one more thing, think about which is heaviesr too..... just tryin to help u see the big picture.

atroader 82cj7 5"susp 258 T5 D300
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>>>>Go outside, start up your rig
***** HA HA TOM too bad it wont idle lol

as i said before, i asked these for a friend. his reasoning is his and i was just asking questions for him

thanks

[b]Boston Mangler
See It At:
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 07:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your friend might want to consider the combo I am in the middle of swapping into my YJ (4.0 engine stock):

T150 or T176 b/h
NP435 from ford F350 (6.69:1 first gear)
Dana 20 from an early bronco (2.46:1, driver's side drop)

Assuming he hasn't already switched axles.

The jeep d20 is passenger side drop.

the bronco d20 is 2.46:1, driver's side drop, twin stickable, you can get 2wdlo, by removing an interlock pin you can get fwd lo or hi, gear driven, iron case, you can tera low it to 3.15:1, I've heard of 4:1 kits but I'm not sure of the manufacturer's reputation, and it is the shortest gear driven transfer case you can get - shorter than a D300, I THINK it's even shorter than an atlas, certainly shorter than the np231n with SYE.

I am not finished yet, but according to my calculations my drivetrain will end up with a rear drive shaft 1 - 2.5 inches LONGER than my current one with an NP231 SYE. The NP435 has a long output shaft which means that if you are willing to do the engineering and work it is possible to make it even shorter, OR to put an NP203 reducer box between the tranny and xcase - Chris Waterman made his own, and Wild Horse's sells a kit that does the same. So the gearing possibilites are pretty deep.

Chad

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 10:27 AM

Chad that sounds like e pretty nice set up with extra NP 203 installed. That would bolt up very nicely to a Ford 5.0.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 10:39 AM

How hard are to find, the Dana 20 with driver side drop? And whats the going rate? I already have a fresh 95 mustang 5.0 SVO engine, and NP 435 (Ford truck version with 6.69). A Dana 20 and Klune V or stacked T case, would allow me to run a rock solid drive train to the driver side drop, with low gearing and even fairly affordable.
With a Klune V 4:1 version and just the stock ratio in the D20 you could run in 1st gear low at either 73:1 / 122:1 / or compounded to 293:1 Thats a lot of nice rock crawling options in a very strong combo.
Chad thanks for the info.
Now, does anybody have a Bronco D20 they want to sell?

Jeff
89 YJ
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 10:55 AM

Just one other note.
Some of you guys are talking about the NP231 like its a China Doll T case, just because of the aluminum case and chain. Ill tell you what, If they are modified propperly they are plenty strong, and with 4:1 kits they are very reliable. I have seen more D300 fail with 4:1 gears than NP231. Built propperly the NP 231 will work reliably behind a 4.0 HO engine through any conditions. The NP 231 is overall not a bad T case as much as its just so damn expensive to strengthen them. By the time you install the Tera Low gears, which comes with a new stronger front half case($1000), HD chain and SYE with Hd output shafts and bearings, you are probably looking at over $1600. Thats the real problem with NP 231, to much $$$$.

Jeff
89 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode