need help getting rid of points - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 02:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

need help getting rid of points

I'm finally looking to get rid of those points. I'm looking at the Pertronix electronic ignition system on page 178 of the latest JC Whitney catalog. Is this any good? I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to fork over the hundreds of dollars for an MSD system, but I'd like some input from you guys. Pros/cons of different ones, perhaps Jacobs as well as the one stated above. Its only $76.95. My '73 CJ is in dire need of better mileage. Thanx.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: need help getting rid of points

What engine do you have? How many miles? What is the current ignition setup you run right now? Alittle more details please...

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The engine is a 304 with 75K on it currently. I'm running the point-and-dwell setup, stock system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have replaced the points in my '68 Camaro with the Pertronix kit and am very happy. My engine redlines at about 7000 RPM and once you hit 6500 the old points liked to float a lot. The Pertronix kit solved that problem and I get faster starting and a better idle. Well at least better for the size of cam that thing has in it. It still isn't what I want from the ignition so I am changing out the distributor for an MSD unit and a 6AL CDI box. An option that you have is to change your entire ignition for the Duraspark electronic ignition from a '78 and up 304. Add the TeamRush upgraded cap, rotor, and coil and you have a system which is better than the Pertronix kit. If this is of interest to you I can post the wiring diagram which was provided by TR.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 04:34 PM

I am using the pertronix kit on my 304. I also got their can coil and wires as part of a kit.
I have had it in for almost 2 years with no problems at all. It does a great job of replacing the points and is easy to install. Your 304 has a delco distributer (if it is original). You need to get the old style Pertronix kit for delco distributors. I believe the part number is 1181. The new "lobe sensing" one will not work with your distributor even though their application chart says it will.
You might have to pull the distributor to shim some of the play out of it. I had to.
I like it a lot. There are only two wires. No ignition modules to burn out. Compatible with the MSD modules. You can get a large cap and rotor kit from MSD. If it dies for some reason you can put a set of points back in there in about 10 minutes.

I got mine from these guys:
http://www.vintageperformance.com/re...ts/ignitor.htm

'79 CJ-7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I gave my old delco point distributer to Team Rush a couple of months back, for his Pertronix experment. Hey Arron, maybe it is time for an update.

Thanks, Ray

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 01:06 AM

I`ve got an older Allison electronic conversion for a Delco type points distributor I would be willing to part with. It uses the stock coil and works very good. The same ignition is manufactured/marketed by Crane Cams now. The distributor pickup fits where the points mounted and if something did happen to the electronic a set of points and condenser can be swapped back in within 10 minutes. I went with the higher output Crane unit is the only reason I took the Allison out.

Jeff
<font color=red>`75 CJ-5,304,T-18/D300,</font color=red>
<font color=orange>SOA w/YJ springs,D30/D44,</font color=orange>
<font color=blue>Always under construction</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 03:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Snowtow, post that diagram will ya? I'm seriously looking into that Pertronix system now that I've visited their webpage. The shimming of the rotor I'm not too sure about though. I might as well change out the cap while I'm at it. Any suggestions on good ones? And coils... should I go for an oil filled or epoxy? Whats the diff in means of performance, longetivity, etc.? Should it be 40,000, 60, 100? Thanx again.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:30 AM

Replacing points with factory electronic ignition
Click on the sentance above to go to my write-up on the process. Simply use a V-8 distributor for your application and everything else is the same (except, of course, you'll need different Ford parts. A 460 cap, rotor, and plug wires, I believe) It would be simple enough to get everything (distributor, ignition module, and related wiring) from a junkyard Grand-Wagoneer.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It's hard to believe that anyone would consider an ignition upgrade that WASN'T the TR upgrade. The TR upgrade is the most cost-effective of all the choices out there, and lab testing by TR has substantiated that the performance quotient is indeed what was anticipated. Sycho15 has a nice post for you to see on this very thing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Additionally, if you happen to come into some major dough later on, you can always add the MDS-6A box to the TR upgrade to get some enhanced spark duration that will really sweep out all the corners of those cylinders to get that last remaining bit of unused performance.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] On our 304 we are using a TR-designed DUAL-PICKUP distributor with dual coils and dual boxes, one stock and one MSD. So you see, you can creep up on a terrific ignition system INCREMENTALLY if you so desire, by using the basic TR upgrade as a base. What more could you possible ask for[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]?

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode