I'm HOT for a pacer!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I\'m HOT for a pacer!!!

I was cruising the AMC pages looking for some interesting paint jobs, when I stumbled onto this Pacer:

I think maybe I'll sell my jeep and look for a PACER!! This thing looks totally kewl!! Seems like all my energy has been misdirected. Oh well.... at least it's still four wheel drive.

(just kidding.... but it is a kewl pacer. If there is such a thing)

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I\'m HOT for a pacer!!!

Did you know that you could get a 304 in a Pacer X? and a 360 in a Hornet. AMC knew how to put big engines in little cars, it is a shame they did not have the money to hire a decent body designer.

jjc

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 11:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There was also the Mighty Gremlin "X" with a 304 and a three speed that a friend had in high school. Only big block cars could take him! My 351 Cleveland '70 Mach 1 couldn't even take him on short blasts! Sick though, very very sick. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have allways had a soft spot for AMX's or Javilin's. A Pacer with a 390 or 401 would be a definate sleeper, even though I have never really liked them. Remember the early 80's AMX Spirit, now that was a neat car, and who can forget the Gremlin. Ooops, started RAMBELING on here, so I better quit.

Thanks, Ray

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 12:34 AM

you sir are a sick puppy![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I have called the local authorities on you and will hopefully not have to hear this nonsence again.

On a side note, I have been trying for over 2 years to buy a scout with a covair body on it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
A face only a mother could love.........................

Lead , follow , or WINCH ME OUT!!!!
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 06:40 AM

AMC had some surprisingly FAST cars, 69 AMX (390), lets not forget the Rambler REBEL (390), also the "X"cars from the 70's Javelin(401), and Gremlin(401). I had 2 Gremlin X cars. One was the 72 Gremlin with the 304 in Green. The other was a very powerful 73 401 in the Plum Purple color for that year, boy that car was fast. AMC had some good ideas for the 4x4 comunity also but they didn't go over well in the time frame they were offered. The AMC Sprint in 4x4, that was a spiffy car, also the Eagle and 2 other models I can't remember. I do know that the Pacer got it's very unique design because it was supposed to have the Wainkel (spelling) engine that was designed in Germany but ran the gambet of car manufactures to only wind up in Japan in the Mazda's. The design stayed and the engines were placed half way under the dash, these were a pain in the a#[email protected] to service. Well I guess I'm ramblin on (he he he).
GP'n

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only problem with a Pacer or a Gremlin, is that you can put a ton of money into them, and they are sill a Pacer or a Gremlin.

I always liked the big block Gremlins though...

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 09:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Speaking of the Wankel (rotary) engine that ended up in the Mazdas. Trivia time. Those of you that are old enough will recall that the rotarys in the early Mazdas had a life span of about 10,000 miles or so, due to early tip seal failure. For a while it looked like the rotary was going to just go away, but in the early 70s Suzuki motorcycles came out with a rotary bike that had a revolutionary tip seal design. The bike was a total failure, weird design with cylindrical taillight and meter housings among the strangeness, but Suzuki's failure was Mazda's fortune. They sold their tip seal design to Mazda, immediately the rotary could now last 100,000 miles easily. Speaking of rotarys, I have an 84 RX7 in my back yard, someone please take it off my hands![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 12:07 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I think the most interesting story I ever read about the Pacer, is that the pasenger door is longer than the driver's door, by like 4 or 6 inches. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] This is to allow easier access to the back seat with "stuff", and your passenger, etc.

Unfortunately, (and this is where the interesting part is, for those of you who have even ventured this far into anything about a pacer [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img])when the car went over to England, and the steering wheel was put on the passenger side, you had to get in and out through this huge door, which was a major PITA. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Got that out of one of my british car mags. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea GP'n a friend used to own one of those 390 Rebels much faster than you would have expected, he could beat a lot of the big name super cars, also the Reble machine was a pretty kewl car to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode