mud in intake manifold - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mud in intake manifold

Buried my 4.0L YJ last weekend and got a ton of water and mud through my air intake. I removed my valve cover and all the rocker arms and pushrods are ok. I removed the air cleaner assembly and connecting hose to the intake manifold and looking down into the manifold it has quite a bit of mud/silt in it. Was wondering if anyone has been through this and if so do you have any pointers as to what internal damage I should look for when I remove the intake manifold. The engine was tapping and sputtering prior to me starting the work on it today. Thanks in advance.
MJM-YJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:34 PM

Re: mud in intake manifold

its probably hashed, BUT

you can remove the manifold, clean, blow, wash rinse whatever all of hte stuff out.
make sure hte xhaust is clear too
remove plugs, rotate engine, squirt some oil in, rotate engine.

change oil and filter, stick it all back together, run it til it gets warm, change the oil again.

at this point itll either be good to go, or it will be obvious that its damaged.

good luck

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

before I do all the cleaning on the manifold and try to run it do you think I ought to take check the cylinders and bottom portion of the block? It's turing into a much bigger project than I thought it would, but I want to do it right the first time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 09:13 PM

you cant really "check" the cylinders or bottom portion of the block, just assume there is water/crud in there, thats why you crank it over with the plugs out and get some oil down in there to fight the rust before it causes ring sealing problems ( maybe)

you could go ahead and pull the head off, and the oil pan, and clean it out like that, BUT if youve got a bent rod then youve just wasted a bunch of time, not to mention it wont run at all now, and youve got to spend money on gaskets to put it back together.
maybe youll be ok, the fact that its still running at all isa good sign, the tapping is not too good though.

take the plugs out and turn it over with some rags covering the holes and see what comes out?

try the broomstick trik and try to isolate the tapping noise once youve changed the oil and cleaned it out pretty good.

it will take several oil changes to flush all of the crap out unless you want dissasemble to bare block and start over.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know how you feel! I have been there too. Here's what I did and 3 years later I am still running the same engine. First buy some cheap oil and filters. I bought a case. Also buy your regular oil and filter. Remove your oil plug and let the water and oil drain out. I then poured diesel fuel in my oil fill cap and let it clean everything out (my grandpa told me this would work). My oil looked like jello. I would pour a couple of gallons of diesel fuel in and let it drain out. I did not start it at this time. I pour a total of about 12 gallons through mine. I guess you could buy some type of engine cleaner and do the same thing. I then put the drain plug back in and put the required amount of cheap oil and filter on. I then started the jeep and ran it for about 2 minutes. Just enough time to let the oil flow through the engine. I then drained the oil out and removed the oil pan and cleaned it out very well. I put a new gasket on and put the pan back on. I then put some more cheap oil and filter on and started the jeep again letting it run about 10 to 15 minutes. Then drain again. I then put my regular oil and filter in and ran it about 300 miles and changed it again. This was a lot of work, but some how it saved the motor. I also cleaned anything and everything out. I would clean the the manifold and they do the above before running it. I would also change every fluild and grease everything including every bearing. It will take some time to do all this, but it is worth it. Change every filter also along with PVC. I am not telling you to do any of the above and am only pointing out what I did.

Hope this helps, and keep it out of water that deep! I know I was driving in water over my hood when this happened to me. I still can't believe it kept running.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 10:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys, you've given me hope.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 08:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I had my 2.5L 95 Wrangler.. I sank it once in about 4 ft of Mud/Water.. it shutoff.. Well I didnt try to run it or anything.. we pulled the plugs out and towed it to dry ground.. I pulled the air cleaner assembly off and cleaned it throughly.. Then took some carb cleaner and cleaned out the Throttle Body.. Let everything dry and then turned the engine over without the plugs in.. After this replaced the plugs sprayed some more carb cleaner on the Throttle Body and then it started and ran fine... Drove it to my house and replaced oil/filter and all fluids... Hope this may help alittle?

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode