jeep questions (tires/gears/seats/diamondplate) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jeep questions (tires/gears/seats/diamondplate)

Ok, i'm sorry....i do ask too many stupid questions...but, this is by far the largest wealth of jeep knowledge probably in the world....here goes

1) Tires
I've got a set of 33" Michelin LTX A/T's, 4 of 'em, that i traded some stuff for...anyway, i was just curious to opinions on these babies, biggest concern being snow, and maybe mud, i know they'll suck, but as bad as BFG A/T's? sidewall strength? i know they were expensive as hell, so they better be worth it...

2) Gears
What's the lowest ratio I can go with a stock carrier? I think i've got 3.31's, and they just won't be cuttin it with the 33's, so i'm lookin at 3:73's, right? what about 3:91's? will they work? And what about the stock trac-loc? where do you buy rebuild kit's for these thingys, and just how are they compared to say, a GM gov-loc? i just don't wanna dump a whole bunch of money in these stupid 1/4 ton axles that are gonna get removed and upgraded. and before i jump into hardcore lockers and ultra-low gears, i figure i'll improve on my driving skill.

3) Tire carrier

can the stock one handle a 33" tire? what about a 33x9.5 one instead of the 12.50 ones i got? i don't want the thing to rip the ass end of my jeep out...

4) Seats

looking around for seats, interested in a set of older pontiac fiero ones with the speakers built in the headrests...good idea? what if it rains? am i gonna get electricuted? any other seats recommended? i know there's at least one person who has these in their jeep on this board...

5) Diamond Plate corners and Rockers

Any one make their own diamond plate stuff?? like i could just go buy it, but that's no fun, and i do have access to sheet metal stuff (brakes, shear, etc) so, i was just wondering anybody have some experiance with this stuff? i'm alright with metal, so i figure corners shouldn't be much of an issue

that's all i can think of, these are just simple questions to give me an idea of what i've got/got to do/etc. So, any help to any of these questions would be more than appreciated..Thanx!!

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:29 PM

Re: jeep questions (tires/gears/seats/diamondplate)

those michelin tires are what I run on my wifes Tahoe ( I think ltx at, or somthihng very similar) they are very good in the snow and they wear like iron, but of course its a grocery getter so I cant vouch for offroad/mud/or sidewall strength.

if youve got 3.31 then you can run anything you want in the rear ( its an amc20 right) except 2.72:1
Im not sure of the carrier break on a dana 30
go ahead and get some really deep gears 4.11 or so, and then if you upgrade your rear to one pc shafts, OR a Fullsized Jeep amc20 then you can reuse the gears on the rear axle at least so it isnt $$$ wasted.

track lock isnt much to hubub about. its $70 in parts and total diff dissasemmbly to rebuild.

I dont think the stock carrier will hold a 33 inch tire without some sheetmetal damage, but I could bewrong.

the seats wont shock you!

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 09:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

depending on the tranny.. if you have a stick.. i would go with 4.10's.. with those 33's.. d30 carrier break is 3.54 and down.. 3.73 and up.. amc 20 is 3.07 and up.. like ozark said..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 05:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i made my own diamond plate goodies.corners and rocker covers.i rolled the corners and bent rocker covers at work.
you need heavy duty equipment to do it. i work in one of the largest hvac co. in southwest ohio so we have proper equipment.good luck

'78 cj-5 black JEEP squadron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode