Weird noise after changing head gasket - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Weird noise after changing head gasket

I changed the head gasket on my 88 Wrangler with a 258. I took the head to the machine shop and had them do a valve job on it and resurface it. I put it all back together this weekend. I took my time and did every thing right. The motor runs fine and idle's good. The only problem is that I can hear a taping coming form the exhuast pipe. You can only hear the tap coming from the exhuast. Under the hood you can hear nothing. It isn't a metal to metal tap. If you take two fingers on your right hand and tap them on the palm of your left hand you will get close to the same sound. It isn't very loud. I am pretty pissed, and hope that I don't have to take the head back off. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Weird noise after changing head gasket

I'd bet on a small exhaust leak at the head.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 07:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it were an exhuast leak at the head I would easily hear that under the hood. Would a leak at the intake to head seal cause this noise? Also when setting the timming what rpm do you rev the motor, and what do you all run yours at? I was messing with the timing a little and when I got back in the jeep to drive down the road the brakes bairly work. I checked all of the vacume hoses and there are none disconected.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you guy's use any sealant on the gaskets when installing your exhuast and intake manifolds?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 10:30 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

always (you're talking to everyone else, right?)

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 05:35 PM

That is the best description of an exhaust leak I think I have ever heard.

I don't know if it's the head gasket (Doubtful), the exhaust manifold gasket (Very Possible), or the exhaust head pipe to exhaust manifold connection (Very Possible), but you have an exhaust leak...

If you have the pulse air system, it could be that also.
I just went through that with my father's old beater truck...

Good luck!

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is it very likely that with an exhuast leak at the manifold to head seal that I would not be able to hear it under the hood? I followed some advice from a friend and didn't us any sealant on the intake or exhuast manifold gaskets. Should I yank them back off and reseal them?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 07:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well.. when you put that gasket on.. and then you want to run the engine.. let it get good and warm.. then after that you want to retighten those bolts down.. do this several times.. atleast i do.. and you want to make sure on those 258's.. that you have a good point of contact with the exhaust manifold.. since the same bolts hold on the intake.. i had to cut some washers and slide them in on the exhaust side.. to get the surface level.. and always use the metal gasket..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got an identical noise on the right side exhaust of my Chevy 350. Mine acts like a misfire though because the engine RPM will drop in conjunction with the popping noise. My engine is freshly rebuilt and since my brand new oil pump took a SH$% I have to lift the engine and replace it. I'll check the plugs when I do and see if I can figure anything out.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a Chevy TBI 350
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would think that it is one of two things, you may have put one or more of the exhaust manifold gaskets on incorrectly, or you have a miss fire somewhere, look towards the back of the manifold near the firewall for a spark or something coming out between the head and exhaust manifold. Check all the plug and wire connections too for a miss fire

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode