Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   What ever came of "our" axle wrap discussion? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/48919-what-ever-came-%22our%22-axle-wrap-discussion.html)

jeepgod 12-11-2000 07:08 PM

What ever came of \"our\" axle wrap discussion?

was just wondering what ideas were thrown around.. i am going to start to cut down my rear axle.. and when i re-install it.. am going to put some anti wrap device on there.. also in the process am doing a custom tube cross member/skid plate for the tranny and transfer case..
any ideas?
im open to all thoughts..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

**DONOTDELETE** 12-11-2000 09:17 PM

Re: What ever came of \"our\" axle wrap discussion?

Two jeepers in my old club installed the bar by Sam's Offroad (one bought it the other made his own based on the design). Both rave about the difference.
One of the jeeps was a 85 CJ7 SOA/2.5" springs, ford 9", 36" swampers. His last set of springs got trashed pretty bad with out the bar. Installing the bar and new springs, both are holding up well, and axle wrap is virtually non-existent.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com

CJDave 12-12-2000 11:30 AM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Check out H8Monday's latest post and photos of his adaption of the ani-wrap bar to his rear axle. He did a good job on that setup and has tested it on some trail to see if it actually did work and how much binding it did or did not cause.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Actually, if a Jeep novice just hung around H8's area, and snuck periodic peeks at H8's rig, then went home and robotically duplicated what he saw, he would have the trail rig that he always wanted wihtout having to wrack his brain and think up all these technically-demanding mods.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

3/4tonYJ 12-12-2000 06:51 PM

i also like the one sam's off-road sells, i made mine after there design.
i've have mine on some pretty hard core trails up at Paragon, PA. and it ain't broke, (knock on wood) also i don't have a flex monster but it don't limit my suspension at all. i think you may have seen mine already, but here you go anyway
http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/rrup.jpg
also there are alot more pics on this page http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/rearsus.html
but, i think the best way would be to build some 4-link coil spring system.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/paragon3a1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton

timCsjeep 12-12-2000 08:19 PM

What about adding an extra leaf to the pack using and an "eye wrap" design. Were you cut the top leaf on a another pack and add it to your stock leaves? I ve never seen it but JP had an article on it. They said it stoped wrap in their jeep.

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).

**DONOTDELETE** 12-12-2000 08:55 PM

Jeepgod-
I'll build my Ford 9" (it's sitting under the bench) with stiffeners on top and back. The top will get an additional 'strap' of steel pointing forward. It'll be about 5/8" to 3/4" thick and 1-1/2" wide. The forward end will be rotated 90 degrees. I will put one hole in this forward end; it will be tapered to match the tie rod end from a one ton something or other (Ford or Shevolay) and will be turned sideways to keep the nut away from the high pinion assembly. The other end of the tie rod end will be threaded into a heavy wall tube without a jam nut. This heavy wall tube will go forward to a pivot point on either a custom crossmember above the t-case or to a stand on the existing crossmember/skidplate. The whole assembly will roughly parallell the driveshaft.

The use of the tie rod end will allow a couple of things which have been discussed on this board. It will allow tuning the point of the pinion for purposes of CV joint compliance and since there is no jam nut (whatever do you need it for in this instance?) it will allow the whole assembly to rotate in the 'middle' and so give no resistance to the tilting of the frame relative to the axle. Hence no bind. And the use of the tie rod end will allow the rear axle to continue to make it's odd arc as commaned by the flat center section of the leaf springs. (Remember that the pumpkin - actually the whole axle unit - does NOT rotate as it goes thru it's arc; it stays 'flat' and tieing a forward (or rearward) pointing bar of anykind to a rigid pivot point with leaf springs has to have some place to give if the arc is much at all.

3/4 ton YJ's is a bombproof setup (everything he does appears to me to be bombproof and he does it for so little money)(I'm jealous) but as he said, his rig isn't a flexmonster so his arcs' differences are taken up by the compression of whatever his mounting points are made of. (Or something bends (flexes) which I doubt just looking at the meat the man puts in his stuff.) He's probably the only person on this board from back east that could go to the Hammer trails and hammer his Jeep and not break.

Jeff's (H8Monday) has a now-proven unique Fordamatic Traction Device which works because (and he HAS a flexmonster) he allows his acrs' differences to be taken up with compression of the coupling at both ends of his arm. What pains me is that he's a squid and he THOUGHT of it! Worse, I'm jealous of HIM, too!

Anyways, that's my contribution to the discussion. And some of my plans for my newly acquired heavy half-ton 9" (with big bearings, thank you).

As an additional item here: one for safety - protect your brake lines. I once was doing some high speed after dark runs on the South Canadian River bottom in a Corvair powered sand rail. Mostly you fly along at anywhere above the 80 mph mark and have fun. Something came up and I went for the brakes and there were NONE. After driving over and through some things I'd rather not recall, I geared to a stop and looked things over. Some time earlier I had driven over something that passed over the top of the A- frame and severed the steel brake line as cleanly as you please. I have since always tried to protect the brake lines. My two trusses will have a 'wing' on one side of each facing each other. In the gap or space between the two will be nestled an oversize(3/16" - not 1/8") brake line. Hydroboost and four wheel discs dictate that; look at what GM did to all vehicles with 4 wheel discs back in the 70's and 80's. Others may have done so also, I just don't know about it. Anyway, I will do my protection with a semi-open method so that there isn't a nook or cranny to catch debris, hold moisture and cause rust to get started.

sln

What axle are you using?

sln

H8monday 12-12-2000 09:48 PM

Thanks for the compliments,(us Navy guys are very smart). The Ford radius arm works very well at stopping axle wrap, and still allows the axle to travel through its arc. It does a very good job of allowing the axle to stay firmly planted and aids in traction on very steep hill climbs. Its also as strong as tank. But it still has at least one drawback. The Ford radius arms are very beefy, and C clamp at the axle end is quite bulky. Combine that with the placement as close to the center of the axle as possible, and you end up with a bit of a rock magnet. The problem is that with running only 36" tires,("only 36" tires" thats not something you heard to often a few years ago) on my favorite trails I often have to get creative with my driving. I have learned to use my rear diff as a sort of skid plate when neccessary, and with practice and a feel for where everything is positioned underneath, I can very affectively slide the diff when I need with no damage. The problem is that now when I try to slide off to the driver side I end up getting caught between the diff and radius arm. Its not that it sits to low as much as it creates a surface that will not readily surf over rocks.
So although this set up works well and does a great job of preventing breakage due to axle wrap. It is still probably just an interim modification, untill I feel really creative,(like a 4 link 1/4 eliptical).
It is a very easy, and affordable modification though.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again

jeepgod 12-13-2000 05:04 AM

i think i will be looking for some ford radius arms... i like sams idea.. but in order for that to work.. you have to put the ajoining parts above and directly below the axle.. giving a big rock abstacle also.. will look at the fords closer this weekend.. see what i can do with one of them..

my rear end is a d60.. and im running a 401.. so i really need something.. was told over last weekend.. that my leafsprings were coming apart like a foot at times when i was torquing on it.. and the ole u joint was about to snap..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

CJDave 12-13-2000 09:10 AM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] When we finally get finished with the critical stuff and our CJ is running, I am going to take the time to build an anti-wrap for our Model 20. In that case, what I will want to do is take all the thrust on the piggy itself, not on the already-too-thin tubes. My thought was to have two clamps on each of piggy's ears where the tube welds in, and one clamp around piggy's nose. The three points will be the basis for an anti-wrap linkage which has two links at axle level and one a bit higher. By operating on the piggy exclusively, it removes the tubes from the torque equation entirely, putting zero torque on the spring pads.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 12-13-2000 09:39 AM

jeepgod, when i built the brakets to hold my sam's style bar i made it so that the bottom connection is inline witht he axle tube. mine doesn't hange down below the axle at all. i will say that you really have to use strong stuff when doing it this way because the rotational plane of the axle causes more stress on the bottom tube of the trac bar. i bent a couple before i realized this and i added some beef wo my current unit and i hasn't failed since. it works wonderfuly and doesn't hang down. i have a set of the ford rafius arms in the garage and i may try and use one on a dana44 swap planned for a buddy's samurai if i can figure out a way to mount it above the axle. i just don't like them hanging down. good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/