$100 Transfer Case Fluid - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$100 Transfer Case Fluid

Today while I was working my wife's mission was to buy two quarts of lube for my Quadratrac transfer case. She went to our local dealer where I bought it before but they no longer stocked it. Next she called a dealer a few miles up the road and was told that it used regular gear oil (wrong) and that she could get it anywhere. I had her call them and give them the part number from an old bottle. Oh yes, that special oil. Now they remembered. It was $100 per quart. Quite a bit of difference from the $11.00 I paid the last time I bought it. She finally found it at a dealer about 50 miles away for $13. Guess I'll just order it from 4WD Hardware.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 11:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: $100 Transfer Case Fluid

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Gary,.....might I recommend that you dump out the barrel differential that is in that QT case; dismantle it and bore out the splines in the cone clutches; slap in a thrust washer between the side gears and the cones, then reassemble the differential and pop it back in. That will give you: (1) a better Jeep to drive, especially in snow; (2) more positive engagement for the lockup feature when it is needed; (3) better fuel mileage and longer drive train life; (4) the ability to use just normal lubricants; and (5) no more pasty grindings from the cones to shorten the life of the chain. Those cone clutches are unnecessary and nothing but a liability.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode