Starting? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Starting?

When I start my motor the starter will not dis-engage. I fool with the iginition switch but it still stays in the starting mode. I have to remove the negative on the battery fot it to stop. My question is what is causing this? Is the ingnition switch bad or is the starter bad? Any help is much appreciated....
p.s. It is a Chevy 350 small block motor in a 86 CJ7. The dual battery setup has a relay or isolator in front of them, but I don't know which it is? The two side terminals on the relay/isolator go to the batteries and I think the little top wire goes to the starter? The starter has one small red wire for the silanoid and one large red power wire. The part in front of the batteries does look like a Ford relay....
The motor only turns over but will not fire up....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 01:14 PM
FlMudCJ

Re: Starting?

When you turn the key to the run position, does the jeep start? If not, do you have two wires coming off of the starter side of the solenoid? Are you still running the ford (fender mount) stolenoid, or is it mounted to the starter aka GM style? Sounds like you might have to break out the test light to see what's hot when.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Starting?

The starter has one big red cable to the starter and one small red wire to the silenoid. The part in front of the batteries looks like a Ford siliniod?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode