AAARRRGGGHH...Weekend Carter Issues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AAARRRGGGHH...Weekend Carter Issues

Well, I guess I jinxed myself by telling everyone how great my 4.2 was running with the stock Carter and the clogged idle tubes cleaned out.

This weekend it was snowing a little and I took my Jeep to a friends house about 1/2 hour away, including about 20 mins on the highway. Ran good until the highway, but then seemed to hesitate a little as I gave it gas on the highway. When I came to the tolls, it died right away, as soon as I let off the gas and put the clutch in, didn't ever sputter. It started right up, but I had to give it a lot of gas to keep it running. So I continued to drive but everytime I had to stop, it stalled like this, no sputter just died. This happened about 5-7 times until I got to my friends house. When I got there it stalled, but I started it back up to pull into the driveway and IT WAS FINE!! Idled like the day it came off the showroom floor. It was also fine on the way home a couple of hours later and has been ever since. Any ideas on what the heck could've been happening for that period of time??? Thanks for all the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: AAARRRGGGHH...Weekend Carter Issues

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Something in the carb/fueline/filter clogged then unclogged itself...you may have even got some water from the snow mix in with the gas somehow...Maybe sucking in through the pulse air system..Can't really tell you for sure. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That seems to make sense, as this happened once before in a major rain storm....but it was barely snowing and I hope I don't have to deal with this every time there is a little moisture in the air.....I did have a couple of small rust holes in my air cleaner cover, but I plugged them up. I don't know where else the moisture could be getting in. It was so wierd that it stopped so suddenly too...almost seemed like something was stuck open or closed and finally when I started it up the last time it fixed the problem....anyone else have any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Was there any water on the road. Possibly your front tires splashed water getting your distributor wet. It may have dried out while at your friends to solve the problem.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The road was wet, but there weren't any puddles....I guess that I can run a bead of silicone around the edge of the distributor cap and see if this solves the problem....But would it run ok when I gave it gas and start right up after it stalls even if the distributor is wet?? I would've thought that it wouldn't start at all until it was dry.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 04:09 PM

Replace the fuel filter, take the top off the carburetor and remove the fuel inlet/needle and float. Soak up all the gas in the float bowl with a rag or paper towel and clean any sediment out of the float bowl. Spray carb cleaner inthe jets in the bottom of the float bowl to clean out passage ways. Remove the idle screws and shoot carb cleaner in those holes. Watch for the two ball bearings in the carb and replace them where they belong after cleaning the assembly.

Any sediment or dirt in the float bowl can get stuck in the idle circuits when you flow a lot of fuel, like highway driving then slow down. Even better, remove the carb to clean it out with spray carb cleaner and pour out the fuel from the float bowl.

Tim in Manitoba.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like it could be the stepper motor acting erratically. Seeing as sometimes it runs good and sometimes bad it could mean that a sensor is going bad, a loose wire in the feedback system, a vacuum leak in the emmisions system or many other things related to the opperation of the stepper motor.
The system is overly complicated, and if eveything is not working properly then the computer will send the wrong directions to the stepper motor causing it to run lean or rich at the wrong times.

CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 08:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I appreciate the advice guys! CTjeepnut, you'll be hearing from me in a couple of weeks....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode