Gas leak+setting up S/Top.Please help quick! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Gas leak+setting up S/Top.Please help quick!

I have a gas leak coming from the metal tube thing that meets the rubber hose which goes to the filler.The leak is around the part where the metal tube meets the tank.The tube itself looks dented or like it was banged into my frame.I didnt notice this til today.I filled her up today...but I haven't gone offroading in like a week so I dont know when it happened.My last important quesh is how in the hell do I set up my soft top?I borrowed one from my stepbrother and I already have my own hardware.I dont think I have all the snaps such as the ones where the back side windows meet my body.I didnt see any snaps but the places for some look like the go underneath the metal 90% angle cover.Does anyone have any instructions they could scan or tell me how.I have a 76 CJ-5.It seems like I got the front part done right but the back just inst long enough or something..and I dont know what to do with the second pole which moves up and down.Im very confused please help..because I have to go to school tomorrow and will probably have to do this tomorrow morning.
Thanks
Joey

If knowledge=power and time=money.. please donate all your time and knowledge to my jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Gas leak+setting up S/Top.Please help quick!

Gas leak: hard to say from your description exactly what's happened. But as a STRICTLY temporary fix, sometimes hand soap (yup: Ivory soap or Dial or what have you) will plug a fuel leak. So you might rub some around where you think the leak is. This is a thing you will want to properly fix pronto. Before someone decides to fire up their Zippo lighter while leaning against the back of your tub, which will result in. . .you do the math.

The soft top issue is beyond me. I don't know enough about the stock mounting system on your jeep, or what kind of top you just acquired and how the two things play off against each other.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.</font color=blue>
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.

http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 03:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

About the soft top: unless it is completely, absurdly too short, then you probably arent doing anything wrong. These tops are quite a biutch to work with. I don;t know the exact deal with a Cj top (i'm a yj man), and they differ between brands, but i would try hooking in the back part of the top first and then tightening it gradually with the crossbar. do the windows last (they really suck).

Also, if you have acess to a warm garage or a hair dryer, i would suggest you use those to heat up and loosen the fabric. I probably shoudln't have to say it, but keep the hair dryer on a LOW setting.

"Rednecks in chevy trucks with automatics suck"
'91 Wrangler; 6" Pro Comp Coil Conversion;
35" BigO XT's; 4.56 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe try and clean it up and put some JB weld on to seal it. Just a thought [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Thats what I was thinking...I have a little JBWELD.Damn!!I spent $15.00(all I have left from my paycheck) on gas yesterday and ITS GONE!!Luckily I put about $3.00 in my gas can.When I went out to my car today to start it after school....it didnt start!Im glad I brought the can.I kind of have the soft top hooked up..I wasn't thinking about hooking the back part up first.Everything else is pefect except the side doesnt snap and it wont fit around the back.Thanks!

If knowledge=power and time=money.. please donate all your time and knowledge to my jeep!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if the top is a bestop soft top you can download instalation instructions from their website.

'78 cj-5 black JEEP squadron
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:34 PM
Addict

Go to http://www.bestop.com for soft top instructions (assuming your top is made by them, and it probably is).

If the back seems too tight and it's cold out, it'll be almost impossible to stretch it into position. If this is the case, fasten it down as much as possible, start the engine, turn the heater on full blast, and go inside for a beer. After a half hour it will easily (more or less) stretch into position.

-Dana

The most valuable function performed by the federal government is entertainment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode