Vibration and noise at 1500 RPMS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Vibration and noise at 1500 RPMS

I have been looking for the cause of this noise and vibration for over a week and it is driving me out of my mind.

When I start my Jeep to warm up it seems to really vibrate when the high speed idle kicks it up to 1500 RPMS. I can not figure out why? I have checked the motor mounts and they seem fine. I have crawled all over the motor looking and checking things. It also does this when I am driving and I can hear something like a dull knocking as if something spinning is bumping something. It happens when I am at of near 1500 RPMS and traveling about 30 to 35 miles per hour. I first thought maybe this was a u joint. I have checked and they seem good and tight. It has also made this noise once while warming it up when the front of the Jeep was pointing down hill. I was at work and could not check it then. I have tried to get it to repeat this noise while in park and have not been able to. I think it has to be something in the motor, but what. If I drive 1000 or 2000 RPMS it doesn't do it. I have a 83 CJ7 with the 258 and a TF 999 transmission. It will not do it in 4wd low or high. Any suggestions as what to look at or for would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I can think of is to put it up on blocks and have my wife put it in drive and run it up to 1500 RPMS while I lay underneath to look for it. I believe in safety 1st and it will be very secure before I do this. It will be extremely cold here the next couple of days with snow expected tomorrow and Wednesday. I need to get this fixed so I can play in the snow.

TIA
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Vibration and noise at 1500 RPMS

Maybe check to see that your tranny mount isn't shot. That thing soaks up a lot of vibration...

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Vibration and noise at 1500 RPMS

I was just thinking....To see if it is an engine problem, run it in second gear (D2) up to 1500rpm..Your engine will be running the same rpms as when the problem occurs, but the components from the tranny back will run at different speed...If it still does the vibration thing, then it is the engine. If not, your problem is behind the engine...Tranny to wheels. Good luck

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode