Picking angle for engine, tranny, t-case mount - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Picking angle for engine, tranny, t-case mount

Ok, let's say you're starting with a 304 on its mounts, without a tranny or t-case, and you want to add the t-case and tranny while building a custom mount for them. How do you pick what angle to keep it all at? Would you try to keep the engine at the same angle it's at before anything is added? I'm re-doing my T-18 install, and refuse to lower the skidplate, so I'm cutting the bumps out of it and crafting a new support for the tranny, but am unsure what angle to mount it at to keep the most stress off of the motor mounts and bellhousing.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Picking angle for engine, tranny, t-case mount

well dont know the exact angle.. but your engine should just slightly tilt towards the rear with all that hooked up behind it.. cant be more than a few degrees.. just enough to notice it.. i just eye balled mine.. but like you i didnt want anything hanging down.. so i also just kept the cross member even with the frame.. like stock.. but i had a slight tilt to the engine when i welded in the engine mounts.. its on my web page.. sorry for the lack of technical tongue..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FarmJeep-

I thought that you almost killed yourself getting that T-18 into your Jeep. Hope all goes better on the redo.

I was watching TRUCKS on TNN one day and they were putting a new crate motor in a 30's truck (2 wheel drive). They were using Advanced Adaptor motor mounts and built a cross member for the tranny. I believe that they were talking about a 9 degree angle. Of course, they had a cool tool to measure the angle with.

Why not remove the spacers and push the skid plate up? I have been told to not use spacers on my skid plate for the CJ T-18 swap that I am about to do. (78 CJ5 304) Is the fact that yours is a Ford T-18 the issue?

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got the CJ t-18. From the factory, they came with spacers, believe it or not! Without the spacers, the lump on the bottom of the tranny (where the drain plug is) hits a bump on the skidplate, causing the tranny to rest on that bump, putting mucho strain on the motor mounts, bellhousing, etc. You'll have to modify something to make it work. Either drop the skid plate with lowering plates, or clearance it to make the tranny fit without hitting.

I've enlisted a friend for the second t-18 installation session...

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode