Custom pro-comp 4" lift springs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Custom pro-comp 4\" lift springs?

Yeah, I know "pro-crap" and all the complaints. I've got a chance to buy a 4" pro-comp lift kit that's been used for 2 years really cheap, and anyhow, it can't flex or ride any worse than the "stock CJ plus add a leaf" suspension the previous owner left me with...I was wondering if any pro-comp owners played with their springs at all...pull a leaf out, put in a CJ leaf or two, anything?

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Custom pro-comp 4\" lift springs?

I just wheeled the heck out of em for about a year, MAKING them flex. No the ride is OK and they flex great.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FarmJeep,
Get put them on and then load down your Jeep with a lot of wight and then find a field that has been plowed and drive through it. winter time is best, because the ground is frozen. Just an idea, sounds kinda fun anyway.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]Kyle[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

If you can't break it, Try Harder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 02:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had 4" pro comps on my YJ and they were so stiff i though it had done something wrong on the install (which i hadn't-i had a shop check they were so stiff). I know the CJ and YJ leaves are different, but jsut a thought.

To get a little more droop, i cut the spring retainer clips off, that helped a little. I would suggest a shackle reversal and/or longer shackles. That and about 250lb of sand behind the back seat (which was my free solution-it helped some)

"Rednecks in chevy trucks with automatics suck"
'91 Wrangler; 6" Pro Comp Coil Conversion;
35" BigO XT's; 4.56 gears
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the lift has already been used for two years, you should be ok with it. I loosened my retaining clips, loosened the shackle bolts a bit and beat the crap out of it in the desert. Rides a lot smoother, I now only launch my kids from the backseat when I do 20mph over speed bumps. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 09:20 AM

A good deal is a good deal, so sometimes you just gotta suck it up. Here's what I suggest:

1. Pull the packs apart when you get them and clean them up, install teflon pads if they don't have them (I've got a box full if you need 'em) and coat the friction surfaces with graphite paint (I've got the better part of a gallon of Slip-Plate here if you want to use it).

2. Remove the cheapo bend-over spring clamps and take the leaves that had the clamps over to Aurora Spring and have them fitted with the open style.

3. Install greasable bushings/bolts in the fixed and shackle ends (I may have some extras of these as well).

4. Use the best shocks that you can afford. Rancho RS9000's are obviously one of the most preffered.

I think this will make them about as tolerable as you're going to get, especially on a CJ-5.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 12:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've had a pro comp 4" on my yj for about 3 or 4 years now. The ride isn't bad, and they flex really good now (I've bent back the spring clips too), but they've sagged something fierce, especially in back. We just put a 2.5 superlift or skyjacker or whatever it was on my buddy's yj this summer, and his springs have about as much arch as mine now. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I just picked up a set of 3" rancho yj springs at the fall swap meet for $20 for the set [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and they look almost new. I plan to do something in the spring with those and my pro-comps. We'll see what happens, but that's the plan now.

Good luck
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode