OT- HR4205, Anyone heard of it? (Bad legislation) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Addict

OT- HR4205, Anyone heard of it? (Bad legislation)

I was reading the Oct issue of "Old Cars" and in it found an letter on some proposed legislation buried in some appropriations package that can potentially have a very negative impact on military vehicle owners. According to the letter the proposal "would call for the registration of ownership of all tactical property that was ever contracted for or owned by the government...even the tech manuals for such." With the understood objective to confiscate or disable all such property. This would include JEEPS!, 4x4's, 6x6's...and thousands of autos and pickups. Also, parts of the legislation address all of the tens of thousands of collectible rifles, carbines, and pistols that were sold under the governments Civilian Marksmanship Program. The worst parts are suppossed to be in Sections 361 and 362 of Act HR4205.
Now before everyone thinks I'm some conspiracy wacko, I am just trying to check on the validity of this letter. I searched the internet but am not able to read the act itself (no Adobe Acrobat). I just wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this.
rich
77cj7304QtracTH400, TFI/TR upgrade
"They can have my guns, but they'll get them bullets first."

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Re: OT- HR4205, Anyone heard of it? (Bad legislation)

I did just read on the Military Vehicle Preservation Assn. site that they have successfully lobbied to remove one of the offending sections (361, regarding demilitarization of military vehicles). The second offending section, 362, about the tracking of military munition sales is still in the legislation. I still have not been able to read the actual text myself.

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400
83cj7inpieces
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The word I got from Gun Owners of America (I'm on their email alert list) is that the bill is either dead or altered enough to be harmless at this point.

The net effect of it, for guns, would have been to seize back or render unusable all of the M1s and other weapons distributed through the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

I hadn't thought of the implications for surplus military vehicles, but it would be pretty severe there too.

Face it. Our government doesn't trust us much anymore. Should the reverse be true?

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.</font color=blue>
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.

http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Well I hope you're right. The bill itself is probably not dead since it is the DOD's appropriations authorization. But hopefully that part has been removed or altered enough to be harmless. Just another example the left-wing, liberals trying to seize our rights without letting us know about it. Thanks for the reply.
"They can have my guns, but they'll get them bullets first."

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400
83cj7inpieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode