Halfcab soft top? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Halfcab soft top?

I've seen some pictures of early Cj-5s (like my 67) that have half cab soft tops from the factory. I'm really interested in one of these. I've never seen or heard of anyone selling these, as in aftermarket.
I've also thought about having the top I have now modified by a upholstery shop (or a soft top place, if there is such a thing). Seems like it could be done, I think once all the measuring, cutting, and sewing was done all I would have to do is get a single bow that was adjustable for height(I think I could handle that part of it). The only downfall I see is I don't have a full cage now, which makes it easy, but future plans may call for one, and that would be a headache.
Any comments?

Greg
89 XJ-stock, 83 CJ-7/4.0HO-t18-d300-locked-2.5" rancho-32 bfg mt, 79 Blazer/454-t400-np205-locked-4w disc-35 bfg mt, 67 CJ-5/231-t18-d18-4.88-front disc-rear 11" drum/front locked/30-9.50's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 07:30 PM
Addict

Re: Halfcab soft top?

I was thinking of something like this for mine but it's a CJ-7. I would like to find a CJ-8 half hard top but don't have the $$ right now. I thought about the roll cage issue and figured it would be possible to put 2 holes in the top for the front bars to pass through (maybe). I also considered some type of soft half-top but realized that that is pretty much what one of those Bestop Windjammer set-ups is.

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 01:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Theres a shop in my hometown in NJ that makes custom convertibles and the tops for them. Their work is better thanfactory. I have seen them make caddy convertibles, the new eldorados, i've seen range rovers, and fullsize new trucks turned into convertibles. i'm sure their work is pricy, but you get what you pay for. see if you can find a shop like that near you...

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 02:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey~

Not to ask a stupid question, but why do you need/want a half cab soft top? (Especially on a CJ5, where there isn't much of a "bed" to be created anyway). For the investment (time and money) it would probably be cheaper.

Just curious

"Rednecks in chevy trucks with automatics suck"
'91 Wrangler; 6" Pro Comp Coil Conversion;
35" BigO XT's; 4.56 gears
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

It's definitely a "want" as opposed to a need. I like the look of it as it is different, and also it would be original(or a reproduction, you know what I mean). The bed area is occupied with one of those new diamond plate Jeep boxes(jeepbox.com) it fit like a glove and is a quality piece of gear. I have the original 2/3 driver seat and 1/3 pass seat and the top would come down right behind the seat and right before the box. I'm in Hawaii right now, but will probably settle on the East coast one of these days, and the stock heater will work better in the smaller space. Right now I don't run any top and keep the bikini in the box for those few times it rains longer than 5 minutes over here!

Greg
89 XJ-stock, 83 CJ-7/4.0HO-t18-d300-locked-2.5" rancho-32 bfg mt, 79 Blazer/454-t400-np205-locked-4w disc-35 bfg mt, 67 CJ-5/231-t18-d18-4.88-front disc-rear 11" drum/front locked/30-9.50's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 12:51 PM

There is a big interest in a half cab soft top for Jeepsters, we have found factory photos too, but never seen one in real life. I was thinking of the thing should have velcro in the back to fit around the rollbar, that would solve that, the hard thing is making a frame to support the top. If you could design a frame and build it a custom top place would have no problem fixing you up with a half cab soft top.

John
70 Jeepster with "Hurc package"
48 CJ-2A 225 V-6, SM465, D18, D44's, SOA on CJ springs, 35's, SHORT driveshaft [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
89 Wrangler 4 banger
98 Tacoma EC 6 cyl
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 03:44 PM

Is it that everyone that wants a half cab has lots of 4x4s? Well you could probably tie it into the cage and put a little velco flap in around the cage, try it your self it would be cool.
Barrel roll

'95 YJ Totaled!

Currently looking for a 16 year old jeep chick with a jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode