Trussing an AMC 20 axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Trussing an AMC 20 axle

just looking for clues on the best wat to truss the axle.....what kinda steel? thickness? rectangular tubing?

anything helps......send pics if ya got em
Thanks!

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Trussing an AMC 20 axle

I've been considering this one as well, it's on the To Do list...
I've been considering this plan. Take a piece of 1/4" mild steel plate, cut 4 pieces out of it. Each would be about 2" wide, and would be long enough to cover the entire length of the axle tube from the diff to the brakes (leaving enough room to service the brakes, of course). Take those two pieces, and weld them on the TOP of the axle tubes, two to a side, both pointing straight up and with 1.5" between them. Then, take a piece of 1/4" rectangular tubing, with 1.5" outer measurement, and make a brace to go over the top of the diff between the two side pieces...something that would conform very closely to the diff cover. Kind of like an upside down U, if you follow me. Then take two more pieces of our sq. tube, and make legs that go from the center tube brace to the outer edge of the axles, and then make a few small gussets to support things a bit more... I'll attach a rough sketch...

The purple stuff is the original axle and brakes, looking at it from the back. The grey atop the tubes is the flat plate. The red U in the center is the center section of sq. tubing, not bent into shape, but cut at an angle and welded...and the blue is the outer "leg" of sq. tubing, to add more support. You can see how the sq. tubing could be welded to the flat plate. In addition to what's seen here, there would also be one more "grey" piece of plate on this side of the sq. tubing, to further gusset the axletubes, and to make the sq. tubing more secure. And you could add a gusset between the two pieces of plate at either end to stiffen them up, you could throw some gussets in between the tubing, etc. Weld all that together solidly , and then weld the flat plate to the top of the axle tubes...maybe stringing 2-3" welds every 2-3" along the length of the plate steel. That's my plan anyhow. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is getting the outer tubing (blue) as far outboard on the axletubes as possible for greater strength, without interfering with articulation by hitting the frame or something. Got that? That should be way overkill for "up and down" forces on the tubes, and should be very good reinforcement for fore and aft forces as well. In addition, it should help keep the tubes from spinning. I've got to work around the spring hangers, I know, so the plates probably won't go out quite that far...but that's the theory, anyhow.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 9-280268-axletruss.gif (22.8 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

see what i was thinking of doing was using an "I" beam type thing.....bent so it follow the tubes, over the pumkin and then follows the other tube....

using an "I" beam set up i thought i could maybe use a heap U bolts instead of welding to the tubes.....

i used paintbrush to make a crude design.....the black is the axle...the bright red is the "I" beam thingy...the drak maroon is 1/4 steel.....and the blue is the U-bolts...

would sometihng like this work ? whaddya guys think?

thanks

Jeep'n Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

sorry...forgot the pic...here we go

Jeep'n Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-280352-trussidea.jpg (10.1 KB, 4 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:20 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Try this one:

Take two sheets of 1/4" steel and cut them to the shape shown and the weld a top strip to them to form an arch. Then you could attach the truss with u-bolts or welding and you could attach anything else you may need. It follows the axle from braketo pig, pig to brake, so there isn't anything unsupported.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That looks like a very nice design as well...I don't know how thick the "I-beam thingy" is, it would need to be pretty sturdy. The only thing that kinda scares me is the u-bolts. I'm not a big fan of u-bolt mounted skidplates or axle trusses...too much potential for flexing and moving in spite of the truss.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode