It's not the gasket! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It\'s not the gasket!

Ok, it isn't the gasket! It is the tube that is connected at both ends of the manifold. You know the one with the check valve. Well, at the firewall side there is a small hole. My dad was helping me and we spotted it. So, can you weld on that thing, is that feasible, or do I do what I think I am gonna have to do and get out the old bank card? Thanks for all of your help guys.

Mule

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:33 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: It\'s not the gasket!

Well Mule, good job! You can try to weld it, but it's cast. The quality of the weld will be determined on just how deep the weld, and how much nickle content is in the cast. Hey, what do you have to loose? The main problem with a weld is that the constant heating and cooling of the manifold will cause expansion and shrinkage. This constant flux of the metal can "pop" out a poor weld. IMHO, it's worth a try. Or, perhaps a little drilling, tapping and insert a bolt or maybe some JBWeld as a plug could get you by. Check with the machinest and ask him if he thinks the manifold will hold a weld. Thier usally a pretty good source of information.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What i did on mine is took the air tubes off both sides and used a little 110 welder with flux core wire and welded alll of the little holes on both manifolds. They are still holding in their place a year later. I think that the peice that actually bolts on the manifold is steel so if you break all the little lines off of these fittings you can get a weld to stick real well. Hope this helps you out a little. Aaron

The baddest four letter word JEEP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 11:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When i bought my Jeep i had 4 broken tubes i took mine off and silver soddered them back to the banjo fitting and two years later they are still holding. good luck

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 05:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys!
We will give it a shot! Thanks

Mule

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode