Stuck heater knob - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:42 AM
joeybcdt

Stuck heater knob

Anyone know how to fix a stuck heater knob in a 84 CJ7? All the way in, it's off. Halfway, it's heat. All the way out, it's vent. Mine's stuck all the way out. Heck, I'm not even sure that I'm trying to work the heater correctly. (1st CJ, 1st winter in a CJ)

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stuck heater knob

Joey-

Well, in winter I normally just leave mine in the middle position: heat. You sure as hell don't want it all the way out! That opens the airflow between the air intake on top of the cowl and the cab. Brings all that fresh air into the passenger compartment. Not good in winter.

The knob below your problem knob is labelled "TEMP" and it just stays all the way out on my rig during winter, but it should work easier anyway.

The problem is, the cable your problem knob controls works through several bell cranks to accomplish its purpose and bell cranks get balky and cables get stiff with old, tired grease.

I'd look under the dash. Trace the cable to the bell cranks and manually set them so the knob's in the middle position. Be prepared to disconnect the cable ends to accomplish this (if it's that stiff). DO NOT FORCE STUFF TO THE POINT OF BREAKING IT. While you have the cables off, apply some lube to them so they'll work more freely. Also lube the pivot points of the bell cranks and make sure they haven't gotten bent so interferance is a big problem.

Otherwise, wait for LEVE to respond to this post. He's a lot clearer and more comprehensive than I am at explaining this stuff.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.</font color=blue>
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.

http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is very common for those cables to seize up, often times they break the plastic retainer when they do so. Just replace the cable, they are very inexpensive, places like 4WD HW carry them. It is about a 10 minute job to replace it.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:14 PM
Way Outta Control

That cable is difficult to get to, as it's the highest one up behind the dash. The cable terminates at the airbox housing just under the cowl. Try:

1. Remove the cable from the vent acutation levers on the airbox.
2. Manually work the levers to see if they will move.
3. If they move easily, the problem is the cable, lube it.
4. If they don't move easy lube the acutation assembly and or remove it and find out why the levers aren't moving. Examine the cables that the actuation assembly moves to make sure they are not binding. And lube the heater cable.

Let us know how it comes out.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:43 PM
Addict

The linkage in the heat box tends to bind up. I broke a brand new cable trying to push the knob in. Go under the dash, figure out which one it is, and pull the lever back to the heat position.... or for even more heat in the winter, the heater works even better in the OFF position, heating recirculated cabin air.

-Dana

The most valuable function performed by the federal government is entertainment.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:44 PM
Addict

The linkage in the heat box tends to bind up, and when pushing it, it's a long unsupported stretch of the cable core. I broke a brand new cable trying to push the knob in. Go under the dash, figure out which one it is, and pull the lever back to the heat position.... or for even more heat in the winter, the heater works even better in the OFF position, heating recirculated cabin air.

-Dana

The most valuable function performed by the federal government is entertainment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode