FRT AXLESHAFT SEAL REPLACEMENT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

FRT AXLESHAFT SEAL REPLACEMENT

Someone must have knowledge on replaceing the front axleshaft seals on a CJ. The most I can find in repair manuals is "be careful not to dislodge the axleshaft seal when installing the axle". I suspect the ring gear needs removed, but I don't know if there is enough room to insert the seals with the pinion still in place. Has anybody done this job? Any comments appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:42 AM

Re: FRT AXLESHAFT SEAL REPLACEMENT

It would be impossible to dislodge the inner seals with the differential still in the housing.
Are you leaking gear oil out the tubes? Thats about the only reason to mess with seals unless your doing a total rebuild. If that is the case, the differential will have to come out, but the pinion can stay in.
However, be extremely careful not to knock the sand, rust and junk into the housing when removing and re-installing the seals. I got a long copper bar and used it as a punch to help change the seals.
Of course if you pull the differential the standard warnings apply-mark the carrier bearing caps, use proper torque values, et al...
Bob in Ma

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 12:23 PM
Official Historian

i changed the axle shaft seals on my front axle last year. it wasn't too difficult but it took a lot of time. i was able to take the seals out from the inside instead of pushing them with a long bar from the outside. the hard part was just trying to hammer them back in square and get enough force with each blow of the hammer due to the limited space in the housing. don't forget to lightly oil the new seals.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Bob, for the fast response! I can tell you have done this. Yeah, this was a new purchase and was leaking from the passenger side tube. I have never disassembeled a differential before. But as I can leave the pinion undisturbed and only (only?!) have to remove the carrier...I should be able to do without changing the clearences, hopefully. The tubes are filled with dirt and abrasives. I fail to understand the reasoning for locating the seals inboard. They would be more servicable if placed at the outer ends, but I suspect they would be subjected to even more dirt and abrasives. Thanks again for the valuable insite.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Will, I wondered how difficult it would be to install the seals in a limited work area. Perhaps a long rod as Bob suggested would work as a drift. One person guiding the end around the seal to drift it in evenly, another person to tap on the opposite end. The first one would probably go smoothly. Working through the newly installed seal to install the second side may be a challange.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 02:35 PM

you can machine the outer end of the housing to accept a seal, in fact some FORDs have this already ( Ive heard)

I might try it on mine, a little extra protection from water and mud.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 02:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I replaced my seals but it was during a R&P install, and I replaced the seals just to be safe. It's not a hard job, but as you stated getting to them is a bear.

I imagine the reason for inner seals opposed to outer seals, is that it wouldn't take much wear on the outer end of an axle to allow it to "wobble". The inner end of your axle is going to be more stable. Once the axle started to wobble, the seal would have a tough time keeping fluids in.

Just a thought.....

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 05:41 PM
Official Historian

also if there are outer seals, there is just that much more fluid to put in the housing.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 06:11 PM

nah, the idea is inner and outer seals, to keep MOST of the crap out of the tube.

I read in a magazine I think that some front 44s on FORD trucks used an outer seal in addition to an inner seal.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode