Drowned YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 08:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drowned YJ

Yesterday 77cj7 and I hit some trails. While testing the limits of my YJ I managed to find a stream where the water went up to the top of my hood and into my air intake, then when she stalled, went all the way up my exhaust. We were able to pull start it and make it home, but now the engine is tapping (sounds like the the upper portion of the block)I'm going to flush the engine and change the oil/filter, and fuel filter/injector cleaner. What else do I need to do?
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:05 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Drowned YJ

You may have killed it. Sure, I'd flush everything, but it's my bet you bent something in the top end due to water being a non-compressable substance. The "next" time this happens, remove all the plugs and crank it over by hand, it'll purge the water and shouldn't cause any damage. Changing the fluids is always a good idea when deep water fording, but in this case I don't think it'll help much. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was just about to post this question. I would have added that it would not turn over AT ALL when it first came out of the water. Starter would engage but couldn't turn it over. It took several attempts to pull start it. The tapping was bad when we first got it running but was noticably BETTER when we got it home. I thought it was a goner too but the tapping got better and that confused me. Not trying to second guess you by any means but I just didn't understand that part. Guess its time to pull the valve cover and have a look. Thanks for the help. Get your work clothes on MJM.

K-16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm going to flush the engine then drain the oil during the Steelers game, will get to work right afterward. Interested in getting dirty this afternoon? Give me a call or stop over.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. Flushed the engine, changed the oil and filter, changed the fuel filter and added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. Still tapping. What would you say my next step is?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 04:45 PM

Where is the noise coming from? Top/bottom?
I can't believe it still runs.
Most of the time you break a piston, bend a rod or valve.
It's always bad.
Let us know what you find.

Lead , follow , or WINCH ME OUT!!!!
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 04:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

pull off the valve cover see if you bend a rod?

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 05:00 PM

yes, it was so full of water that the starter wasnt strong enough to turn it over with the pistons trying to squeeze the water.

pull starting it full of water is what killed it.

generally it bends a connecting rod, which is pretty bad.
it is strange that the sound is coming from teh top of the engine, get a broomstick watch out for the fan and listen around while pressing it on the block to try and exactly find the source of the tap.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I pulled the valve cover today. All the rocker arms and pushrods seem to be in real good shape. Didn't notice any sludge or anything under the cover. Before going any further, I pulled my K&N out and didn't notice anything unusual. I then pulled the entire box out and disconnected the hose from the intake manifold. That's where I said oh *(**^. Looking down into the manifold, it is caked with mud/silt. I posted a similar question tonight ref mud in my intake manifold. Once I start taking the manifold apart I'm not sure what type damage to be looking for. Also, how should I go about cleaning the inside?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You're engine is probably not long for the world. However, In the future when this happens again, you should do this....
1. Have someone pull or winch your rig out of the water.
2. Let the rig sit for about an hour or so (this will let the water and oil separate in your oil pan, water going to the bottom)
3. Remove your oil drain plug (slowly) until all the water drainsout and oil starts coming out, then put the plug back in.
4. Remove your spark plugs and crank the engine by hand to get all of the water out of the cylinders. If you decide to crank the engine over with the starter, then have everyone stand away from the engine compartment.
5. Replace spark plugs.
6. Use some WD40 to disperse the water on the secondary portion of your ignition.
7. Crank her over, go home and change ALL of the fluids.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode