brendan

will a cheap Chinese..

750lb engine stand sufficiently support a 258? thanks, Brendan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: will a cheap Chinese..

Cheap chinese? I'll have you know the chineses were some of the biggest contributors to clinton/gore......OH you mean cheap engine stand built in china, Yes it is barely adequate for a 258, you will need to cut a piece of 2x4 lumber to brace up the end of the block. If you get agravated with cheap tools, spend the money on a good stand. If you already own the stand, weld some extra box tubing on to the bottom of the stand to carry more weight.

good luck, jjc

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 02:01 PM

well, since jeeps are made in china. yes of course it will, beside try and find one made in u.s.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 02:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, a 258 is a heavy little guy, and being so LONG it has a large lever arm working against the stand....i'd sure be careful.....maybe try to find a different stand....or at least put something below it just in case, and definitely stay out from underneath it!!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've currently got a 258 on a "cheap, Chinese 750lb" for storage only. I would not attempt to wrench on it. Its scary enough (3 casters) just moving it. I'm a high school shop teacher and I often use it as an example, and then have students re-engineer and build one (read overbuild) properly. A diagonal brace eliminates all bounce, and an extra caster up front eliminates the tipping. Why? I had a very good friend pull a 283 Chevy over on his leg several years ago, and he'll never be "good as new", even after several surgeries. Please, err on the side of caution!

76 CJ5,2.5" lift/Rancho 9000's,258/T-177/D300,HEI,Offy,Locked F&R
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 02:54 PM
Can't Get Enough

I second that motion.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 04:03 PM

NEVER USE AN ENGINE STAND THAT LETS THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE DROOP !!
You are just one tiny little tad away from broken feet or worse!
(That engine WILL cut your foot right off!)
Use something to support the front of the engine.
---------------------------------

I did this every day, all day long....
And there is NO SUCH THING AS OVER BUILT !!

Four casters on the roll around model a must.
Large wheels (3" or larger) a must, unless you want to lift that heavy little sucker over every crack and extension cord...
I prefer steel wheels.
TWO GOOD WHEEL LOCKS A MUST.
360 degree rotation a must.
If the engine 'Bounces' while on the stand, use a come-along or chain to hold the front of the engine block up.
The engine puller (Cherry Picker) works good, but the hydraulics will bleed off, so keep an eye on it.
-----------------------------

Options that are great to have...
Adjustable head so you can correct the center of gravity as the engine weight changes.
Pin locks to the floor so the stand doesn't try to move around.
A nice big crank handle to rotate the engine with.
An attachment head with a wide enough gap to install the flywheel or flexplate that still holds solidly.
A drip pan.
---------------------------------

Most engine stand bases are in a 'T' configuration.
I prefer the 'U' shape configuration. It's more stable, and allows you to support the engine from the engine mounts on the sides of the block when you have the bottom end done.
(See Attached)

I know this stand is out of reach for most of the at home type, but what ever you do, support the front of the engine when you are using one of the 'chip' stands!!
I have seen more of those fail than I care to comment on.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-279506-351W-750HP.jpg (24.8 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 05:45 PM

yeah buddy its risky, ive got an old homemade stand that was given to me, I braced it a little, and then slapped my 360 on it full of accesories, and it bounces up and down like a yoyo, Im scared to move it or rotate it while on there, right now there is a stack of tires under so that when it falls it wont hurt anything.

when I have more time ( and my engine isnt on it) Ill build it stronger, since I dont think the $50 jobs will be any better.

support it, and DONT let anypart of your body get under it!
just think pain!

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 08:44 PM
brendan

Thanks guys. I've never actually used one of those things, but the length of the I6 really made me wonder if 750lbs was enough capacity. I'm well aware of the gravity of choosing not enough stand. In my job, I've seen enough near misses w/ heavier objects than that motor to make me wary of going cheap. Thanks for the words of advice and for proving that a cleverly written subject line will generate more responses! Brendan

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:11 AM

I lost my home made engine stand to a cousin I loaned it to many years ago.
When it was time to do the I-6, I took a hint from a local builder who never uses a stand ... just a real heavy table. He uses an engine hoist to flip a heavy V-8.
I put a piece of clean, thick piece of cardboard on top of a sturdy steel 4 wheel grocery stocking cart and used this to build my 283.
The bottom end was easy as the block rested firmly strapped down on it's deck. After the pan was on, we flipped it and put a piece of timber under the front of the pan. Again, we cargo tied it to the cart to keep it from moving around or falling over.
That's one cheap, easy (and safe) way to go about it for those who might do an occasional rebuild. The four wheels (or legs) on the floor stance of the cart or table is a heck of a lot more stable than a flimsy tripod stand.
Pic shows son, Joey with his first (maybe only) engine rebuild... on the cart.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode