Question on 5 lug D60. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Question on 5 lug D60.

I was just wondering what it would take to build a 5X5.5 bolt pattern D60 with 1410 series axle U-joints, and 58 inch width. Just wondering because I have seen them advertised in places like Sams. Sounds pretty difficult to me.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 01:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Question on 5 lug D60.

this may not be the answer you're looking for, but at least it true...One phone call to Currie or Dynatrac could net you that axle...

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 01:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

this may not be the answer you're looking for, but at least it true...One phone call to Currie or Dynatrac could net you that axle...

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 07:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you have to weld the eight lug holes up in the wheel hub and have them redrilled for the 5on5 1/2 pattern. you'll need a set of ford rotors and they'll need to have the hole in the center opened up alittle so they will slide over the dana60 hubs. you will also have to make some caliper brackets so you can use 1/2ton brakes and fit a 15" rim. the last thing is the 60 knuckle ans spindle need a notch ground in them in the position where is caliper is going to sit. the 1/2ton brake setup sits lower and hits if you don't. sunray engineering in weatherford, tx builds the hybrid ford9"/dana60 and that is how they do it. you could probably send your hubs to them and have them do it and have them send you a set of their modified caliper brackets too. give tom elliston (at sunray) a call at (817)594-9201.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brian, It sound like you are thinking about doing this. I have allready decided to do my rear Scout axle like yours, and was also thinking about the front, if I could figure out a way to do the bigger axle joint. The Rear axle will be easy, I can do most, if not all of that at home. It looks like the front axle is going to take some machine shop help.

Thanks, Ray

Thanks, Ray

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes i have been thinking about a 60 swap. i just want to narrow it to match my scout width 60 rear and convert to a 5on5 1/2 wheel pattern. like i said i have seen how sunray does thiers and they do as i explained. when i get a 60 and narrow it i will probably get some of thier caliper brackets and swap the 60 hubs for a set they have already set up for the 5on5 1/2 wheel pattern. speaking of my rear 60, leader just got done doing his. he was running a rear scout44 with the warn ff kit. his housing was bent so he got a 60 housing and built one like mine and kept his ff kit. there was an article on how to do this in fourwheeler magazine a few years back and that is what gave me the idea. anyway good luck.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 01:04 AM
Old Hand

there are 5 on 5 1/2 bolt patern dana 60`s already on a j10 pickup

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 02:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess I should have specified front axle. In reallity, I have really not had a problem with the F and R Scout D44, but as I am getting into more extreme wheeling, and have a good 401, and I want to do some mud bogging, I feel D60's are mandatory front and rear. I also want to run some 38.5 inch Swampers. Looking at it, I think full width 8 lug stuff might be what I really need, but only if I can't figure out a way to do this that won't break the bank. Man If only I would feel comfortable running the smaller Axle joints, I could make it very easy that way.

Thanks, Ray

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 05:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i decieded to just run 15" rims with an 8 lug pattern. I measured the hub on my front 60, and it's 5" across at the base. i don't think there is any way to get a 5 1/2" bolt pattern around a 5" hole, so i am assuming these people are using 30 spline outers with smaller hubs than i have with my 35 spline outers. just to compare, i measured the hub on my 8 lug ford, and it was an inch smaller. I am going to run 8 lugs and like it..and until my 35's are bald or I find a pot of gold, 35" tires with these monsters. don't go with smaller axle joints, thats the best part of the 60.

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

elusive, they turn the hub just alittle on a lathe. this gives the room for the 5on5 1/2 pattern. your ford hub is smaller because it has a dana44 front right? i wish i could convince myself to run full width axles and i too would stay 8 lug for the ease of it all. i just like the width of my axles now. wide but not too wide. anyway i have a major itch for a front 60 so i'm looking. i just need to sell my scout 44 front.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode