jeep trying to die on me....need help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

jeep trying to die on me....need help

I have a cj-7 with 258 - stock- and BBD carb ( yeah i know they are junk) it has been running great up until today.

the prob.-
engine just losses power...instantly....it doesn't sputter or miss, it just dies.....at any rpm. when holding the pedal steady rpm's will bounce from 3000 to 0 then back up....all instantly. also when this happens, sometimes it backfires.

my guess-
i don't think it is fuel related....water in line etc....b/c it is back firing and it is either all or nothing when it is running. so my guess is it is an electrical problem!? what does a wet distributor act like? it is snowing today....but i have driven it in snow before w/no problems. just some random info. i am 1/2 through first tank of 92 octane....was trying it to see if it made any mpg diference.....i don't think it is related.....but never can tell.

any suggestions? thanks in advance

"Fear causes hesitation and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: jeep trying to die on me....need help

How many miles do you have on the engine? A wet distributor can make you car act up alot. Let the dist. dry and if it does this tommorrow there may be another issue.

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 01:01 PM

A clogged fuel filter, a malfunctioning EGR valve (which would cause the backfiring) or a vacuum leak, most likely a large one, would be my guesses. Good luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Usually a wet distributor would kill the engine and the engine would not restart until the cap was dry again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wouldn't you think that he would have seen something happening before? If the filter went out it would not all of a sudden get clogged... You could replace that first?

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

i don't know the exact miles on engine, it was rebuilt just before i bought it, but i'd guess around 20K. as for the egr valve, that has been removed. i just replaced the fuel filter this summer. even so it doesn't seem like a fuel problem, when you put the pedal down it doesn't hesitate or kind of sputter.....it either revs like it should or nothing at all. also would it backfire if it were a fuel filter? the problem is random. it started up great this morning, was driving to school and suddenly just lost power.....suddenly got it back...lost it...back again....then ran fine for a couple miles....then lost it again......it is all random, i can't find any sort of pattern ( such as going up a long incline or down an incline, around a corner...anything) for some reason, it just feel like something electrical. i have driven cars w/water in fuel and this sputtering is nothing like that.

thanks again everyone.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 04:57 PM

Your ignition module is starting to die. Get a new one and keep this one for a spare as it still kind of works.

Ken

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

excuse the ignorance, but is ignition module same thing as coil? also i was planning on doing the TR upgrade, would th eignition module be replaced during that? and if so can i just through the one for the upgrade on w/o swapping the rest until i have the time to do it all ( i'm a college student and it is finals week!)

thanks for humoring my foolish questions.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes greencj is correct. It looks like you need to replace your ignition module. No, this is not the same as your coil. No, you will not replace the ignition module with the basic TR upgrade. The ignition module is a separate part from the basic TR upgrade. Your ignition module is a silver box located on the very inside bottom of your drivers side fender. It may be hard to see from the top as your wind shield washer fluid reservoir maybe directly above it. Look from the bottom side behind your drivers side front tire. It will have 2 sets of wires coming out of it with black plugs on them. One plug will have a red and white wire. The second will have a purple, orange, green, and black with a blue stripe. Get the new one first. Disconnect the battery cables. Unplug both plugs. Remove the 3 screws from the old one and put the new one in its place in reverse order. Mine is a NAPA ECHLIN HEAVY DUTY. On the underside it has the number 69348-7MA which maybe the part number, but I am not sure. Do yourself a favor and replace this ASAP before it leaves you stranded on the side of the road in the snow. I learned this lesson the hard way.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 10:19 PM

If you have a catatonic contraption = Catalitic converter on there listen to it see if you hear a plinking sound ,then you have found the problem.or put a vacume gauge on a manifold vacume source and if it is low it will indicate a backpressure/obstruction in the exhaust system.
or you may have a vacume leak somewhere screwing up any emissions stuff you may have on there or your timing.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 10:22 PM

Just had to add my .03.
REPLACE THE MODULE!!!!!
These are perfect symptoms for that.
Another thing to look at would be wires going to the coil grounding out.
I still say it's the module though.
I always keep a spare too.

Lead , follow , or WINCH ME OUT!!!!
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode