Off Roading Forums banner

Clutch Slave Cylinder Problems Jeep

10K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Jaffer 
G
#1 ·
Hi, my name is Tonya Rae. I have a 1993 Jeep which has been on the Rubicon and quite a few other trails. Up until 3 years ago, I was extremely happy with my Jeep. However, 3 years ago, it died on the freeway, luckily I know how to powershift. Turned out it was my Slave Cylinder. Well since then, to make a long story short, that same brand new part has been replaced 2 more times with brand new parts and a new Master Slave and hoses and everything else, and then it died again yesterday and low and behold, it was the slave cylinder again!

So now 4 times in 3 years I have to replace it, each time on my own dime. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, could you please email me if you have had problems with yours? I am going to send a note to Chrysler, whom I spent half the day on the phone yesterday, only to be told they know about the problem but haven't had a single complaint since 1993 so "Your concerns are understandable. Unfortunately, I must decline your request for assistance." this is from an email after I spoke with them on the phone and comes directly from the Senior Staff Rep at the main headquarters here. What a joke.

Anyway, any help to fix this problem permanently would be appreciated. Going into the shop every few months is a real bleck and too expensive!

Also, again, please email me with what happened to you. Thank you. Tonya Rae :)

tonya@tonyarae.com

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay. I just got through replacing my clutch slave cylinder a few months ago. What exactly is your Jeep doing(or not doing) and with what and how did you replace it? I haven't had a problem with mine yet. Now, when you pull the tranny and take the old one out, and slip the new one in, you know you're not suppose to cut the plastic straps on it, right? There's three straps keeping the clutch slave cylinder compressed. They are meant to break free when the clutch pedal is pressed the first time. Also, are you properly bleeding the system. You said you replaced the master cylinder, this is good. I've been told and have had the experience that you should replace both. My Jeep's clutch master cylinder went out and I replaced it. Well the new master had more pressure and blew out the old clutch slave. If done right and now other problems persist with the clutch system, it should hold up fine. I haven't had any problems with mine yet. Hope I can and have helped you a little bit....

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior

#3 ·
Oops...

I totally forgot to check if you have a 6 or 4 cyl. I think, not positive though, that the 4 cyl have the clutch slave cylinder on the outside of the tranny. The 6 cyl, like mine, has the clutch slave cylinder on the inside of the tranny. Do us all a favor and fill out your profile so we can help you more accurately:)

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior

G
#4 ·
first off it might be the ones doing your work for you . i do all my own work and if i don't know how i learn. because there really is nothing to a slave cylinderit's either in right or it's not.who ever is doing it might not be putting it in rightslave cylinders have to be bleed just like a brake system. good luck Gary

95 yj black. 4.0L .5.5 sup. lift 3 inch body lift 36x12.50 swampers, safri rackon top for my women.

#5 ·
I had this same problem with my 87, knock on wood though in the last year and a half it has worked ok. I replaced the stick with an auto. One post said it may be your mechanic, well that may be true but not necessarily correct. I replaced my slave cylinder 3 times in one year due to bad parts. I found out that the best solution was to replace the slave cylinder, line, and master all at the same time. This introduced a completely new hydraulic actuation system to the clutch and it did not fail for the last year and a half that it was in the Jeep. At $98.00{slave), $58.00(line), and $31.00(master) the parts were pricey especially after the 3rd time on the slave. I did all the work myself and the system was bled right on all the accounts. What do you expect from a plastic part working in a very abrasive climate, thats what I was told by one of the reps that I
b&%$hed to.
GP'n

#6 ·
Did you get to see the clutchplate assembly on the engine when the slave was changed? With that type of problem, I'm wondering if it's something else. Like your throwout is pushing too far and causing the slave to get overworked. Or the clutch disc with the tabs are pushed in and so everything has to be overworked causing faster wear.

If you could, I'd inspect the slave cylinder to see what is causing malfunction.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

G
#7 ·
Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it. Yes it has been 3 times now in the past 2 years and now it will be a 4th. What we are going to do is put a new trany in the one where the slave is outside of the trany rather than inside. The first time it was replaced, it was done by a Chrysler dealership. A year later, after warranty it went out. It was new parts because I always ask for my old parts and the actual boxes the new parts came in and everything like that. (I can't do transmissions sadly, I can do basic stuff, change oil, small tune-ups, radiator flushes, little things like that, changing brakes. But the big things, sorry, never learned, not my forte.)

The second time and third time all within a month and a half of each other, were done at a mechanic friends shop. He did the first as a charge, the second for free. Again, all new parts. The first set came from a Chrysler dealer, the second set came from Napa.

So, it's been done sadly. Anyone out there want to sign a petition to make Chrysler own up to this, please email me. Thanks! Tonya Rae :)

http://www.tonyarae.com

G
#8 ·
Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it. Yes it has been 3 times now in the past 2 years and now it will be a 4th. What we are going to do is put a new
trany in the one where the slave is outside of the trany rather than inside. The first time it was replaced, it was done by a Chrysler dealership. A year later, after
warranty it went out. It was new parts because I always ask for my old parts and the actual boxes the new parts came in and everything like that. (I can't do
transmissions sadly, I can do basic stuff, change oil, small tune-ups, radiator flushes, little things like that, changing brakes. But the big things, sorry, never learned,
not my forte.)

The second time and third time all within a month and a half of each other, were done at a mechanic friends shop. He did the first as a charge, the second for free.
Again, all new parts. The first set came from a Chrysler dealer, the second set came from Napa. All 3 times, the master slave, hoses, and something else was replaced, making it quite costly. They were all replaced because that is what Chrysler said needed to be done.

So, it's been done sadly. Anyone out there want to sign a petition to make Chrysler own up to this, please email me. Thanks! Tonya Rae :)

http://www.tonyarae.com

G
#9 ·
The internal slave cylinder was a problem that DC addressed either the last or next to last year of the YJ(continued externally in the TJ). They converted it to an external slave cylinder set up. Find one of the TJ or late YJ belhousing at a salvage yard, get a new external slave cyl and you will be rocking. The external is supposed to be much more reliable, a replacement for mine is only <$60, as well(although mine is on a NV4500, I imagine they are the same). I have a replacement waiting in the garage for mine if it goes(spare parts at home waiting is a good idea with a Jeep, Just Empty Every Pocket). Look up some info on the AX-15 on the Jeep Tech portion of Off-road.com.

By the way I have had my external set-up for about 8 months now without a single problem. Easy to replace as well(dropped the first one out of the box and it expanded, breaking seals).

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.

G
#10 ·
Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Part number please?

Does anyone have the external bell housing part number by chance? We can't find the part anywhere. No one knows what we are talking about and they all ask for the part number. Thank you for your help. Tonya

G
#11 ·
Re: Slave Cylinder Question asap...thanks

I have a 6 cylinder, Sport model 1993 4.1 litter engine manual 5 speed trany. Can anyone give me the part number to make the clutch slave an external one instead of an internal one? We have been looking everywhere. We need a part number. No one knows what the heck we are talking about. Thank you. Tonya

#12 ·
Well, Team Rush, how about that ?

Aaron-

I noted in your last disertation on this subject, you told us how wonderful hydraulic clutch slaves are. But you did not suggest sources, makes or models for release bearing replacment that do not fail on such a regular basis.

Since you think hydraulic throwout bearings are the greatest invention since sliced bread, how about giving us a clue as to alternative or better components.
In the mean time, I'll keep the external slave cylinder on my CJ ... which you pointedly pronounced as a less than ideal setup.

I'm not throwing the gauntlet down or challenging you - I've too much respect for your knowledge and wisdom on these techincal aspects.
I just feel your words were wasted until you can offer a physical remedy rather than an opionion that readers here have no idea how to follow.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.