2100 quiz - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2100 quiz

Here is the story. I have a 79 CJ7 with a 72 304. It has the 2100 carb that must be from the 79 because it has an adapter to fit the smaller bolt pattern on the 72 intake. My other 79's had electric chokes. This choke looks like the electric but it is not. Instead it has a little metal bracket attached to the choke where the heater hose coming from the core to the back of the intake can rest in. As the motor warms the hose it then heats the choke. It works great[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Also my others had an electric solenoid for a throttle stop and this one has a regular screw but has a dashpot. Here is where I am puzzled[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. I thought I would put a new dashpot on and when I went searching I would take the carb number which is 5DM2 and it is very clearly stamped. The parts stores told me that wasn't a valid number[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]. I went to Wrenchead.com and they showed 6DM2's up to 9DM2's. My question is what might this carb be out of and does anyone else have this type choke on theres? Oh yeah it has that 108 in a circle I've heard some of you talk about and does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a dashpot thats not so expensive?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 05:55 AM

Re: 2100 quiz

Fullsize Jeeps in a junkyard might be a good source for the dashpot and bracket.
just a thought.

all of the 2100s/2150s Ive messed with had the hot water choke.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 06:45 AM
Can't Get Enough

The dashpot on the BBD is used so that if you let the throttle slam shut the engine won't stall. Set up right it makes the linkage slowly go shut at the very end. Thats probably why you have it also. If you can't find one, when driving remember that it could stall if you take your foot off real fast, panic braking?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 07:11 AM

Thats the kind of choke that is on my '77. I just cant get my choke linkage to work right, it wont kick down after it warms up. Dont know what to tell u about the dashpot though. Good luck.

Lugnut 77 cj5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 03:24 PM

That's definately an AMC code. In my book "Motor" 1973-1978 it lists the AMC carbs made by Motorcraft for their automobiles. It shows all 5D's as being 1975 carburetors. It has 5DA2, 5DMS and 5RMS all as 1975 AMC automobiles. All the Ford Motorcrafts had a D as the first digit, so it's not out of a ford. Must be a 1975 AMC truck carb in origin.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode