Wierd little electrical problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wierd little electrical problem

Maybe I'm crazy, but I can't figure this one out.

My left brake light doesn't work.

The left rear turn indicator works. The hazzard warning works on all four corners.

The tail lights work.

Now, there's only two hot wires to the bulb socket: one for the tail light filament and one for the brake/hazzard/turn signal filament.

If I read the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual correctly (and I wouldn't want to put any money on that) the brake lamp switch actually feeds juice to the circuit to the brake/hazzard/TS filament by joining the supply harness in the steering column.

Now, since the hazzards and TS work, it must be the case that the supply is messed up in the steering column somehow.

Can I just splice a wire BACK from the right light fixture to the left one and fix the problem? Or am I completely off base here.

Any help appreciated: until I get this fixed I gotta drive a Honda Prelude!

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.</font color=blue>
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.

http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wierd little electrical problem

I had a similar problem when i bought my CJ7.. the blinkers would work but whenever I hit the brakes nothing.. Then only like one blinker would work one week and then it would switch.. I replaced all the bulbs and got new flashers, and got a new wiring harness for the turn signals and lights... doesnt cost to much from like Carquest, Autozone, Pepboys, Auto-whatever... Hope this helps..

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 09:16 PM
Old Hand

<font color=red>"Can I just splice a wire BACK from the right light fixture to the left one and fix the problem? Or am I completely off base here."</font color=red>
If you run a wire from right socket to the left one then your turn signals will turn into 4 way flashers.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
If you don't to be seen in the Prelude and don't get any better advice, just run a wire from the brake light switch to the right light, that's the way I'm planning to put a third brake light on my YJ.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Hope this helps[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]Donnie

<font color=red>God</font color=red>,<font color=white>Guns</font color=white> & <font color=blue>Guts</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Made</font color=red> <font color=white>America</font color=white> <font color=blue>GREAT</font color=blue>!!
I VOTE[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] to keep all three!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is something to think about. Have you moved the signal lever up and down slowly while you were on the brakes to see if it comes on. When you flip the lever it actually cuts the brake light off so the flasher can take over. Mine got to doing the same thing and the contact in the lever was sticking which made it think the signal was on. Therefore the brake light wouldn't work. I took the hole signal thing out and cleaned it up and it has been fine eversince. I saw the other day in the help section where you can buy the signal cam and horn contact. I wish I knew this before I started.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re:THE END OF: Wierd little electrical problem

OK, here's how it played out in real life.

Topfuel7 and Skellator had it right. I lack a wheel puller, so dissassembling the column wasn't an option.

Repeatedly cycling the turn indicator stalk evidently knocked loose whatever was keeping the power supply from the brake lamp switch from connecting with the left hand rear harness.

It works again, but sooner or later I'm gonna have to pull the steering wheel and do it right.

You know, simple as a CJ is, there are times when I long for my 1950 Ford 1/2 ton. It had NO wiring buried in the steering column. The key was on the dash and was strickly an "on" "off" arrangement. The starter button likewise resided on the dashboard. Also the three way toggle switch I wired up to handle turn signaling.

But those were the days when there wasn't a goddamn lawyer hiding behind every woodpile, ready to leap out and sue at the drop of a hat. Things were simplet somehow. Of course the 50 Ford had no real heater, either, until I cannibalized one out of a '68 buick and hung it on the firewall with angle iron and 2x4s. Another story for another day.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.</font color=blue>
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.

http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a very simular problem with my jeep. I've got a fiberglass tub and like all electical problems it turned out to be corrosion under my ground connection. It might be worth the effort to pull your light assembly and clean up any rust under it. After all, we all know that rust was standard equipment on AMC products.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem in my '76 CJ5. Same light and all. Ended up being a bad ground to the back of the light where the three studs go through the body. To fix, I ran a wire from a good ground to the light stud. Presto! No more problem.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode