leaf spring shackles mounted to "Rod Ends" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

leaf spring shackles mounted to \"Rod Ends\"

a while ago a guy with a very nice yellow flat fender was pictured here with the rear leaf springs mounted to some rod ends (from the tractor supply store) i really liked that idea.

well i've been thinking and was wandering around the tractor supply store myself and bought some, have since made some beefy brackets to mount them to my frame.
i'm going to put them on them on my front springs (have a shackle reversal),
anyway i first thought they would want to lay down easily, (like when cornering) but now i think they will stand straight up if positioned there and then tighten the spring U-bolts. then only rotating when the suspension is flexing.
anyone got any thoughts on this? i'm not really confident on this one. i think i'm going to bolt them to the frame and test drive before welding.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 11:15 PM

Re: leaf spring shackles mounted to \"Rod Ends\"

I think you're only going to get "twist" when the axle is articulating. When cornering, the axle is pretty much on one plane and I don't think that you'll get much twist, if any. The swivel joints will want to work when everything gets bound up, like one tire up on a rock. Look at your typical leaf spring in motion--it wants to move in an arc pivoting around a fixed spot front to back. When you're in an articulating situation, they want to bring the high side tire in an arc back towards the middle of the jeep (side to side), but can't because of the limits the shackles have. The swivel joint will allow that, but I can't see anything happening in a street/cornering situation.

Ken

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, that pretty much makes sense...The one thing I'd strongly suggest, though, is that you take a drill and drill a little hole through the housing outside the "donut", tap it, and stick a zerk in there. The parts are very hard and won't wear quickly without grease...but they seize up very easily and then they either won't twist, or they'll twist and not want to return to center. Those housings are way heavy duty and will certainly withstand the little hole. If you don't do this, make sure to oil them weekly, whether you use 'em or not.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

they sure look trick but i doubt very seriously the ever so slight increase in articulation would make the conversion worth while. i also think that the standard shackle mount with a bushing would be more reliable.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 12:17 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

LOL [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I've had the same Tractor Supply parts sitting here waiting to get put on this weekend [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'll let you know how it turns out on the rear of my Toy... I have been needing to move the rear shackle hanger forward anyway for a better angle, so why not try this? I will be leaving the stock mount in place in case I have to go back to it...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

i stayed late at work last night working on the poly. bushing i'm going to run inside the rod end ball and was thinking about maybe installing a grease fitting, then i seen your reply. i'm sure i'll be adding a zerk now.
here's a couple pictures, the C-channel bracket fits around my frame, i'm going to bolt them 1st and then weld when i like were they are.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, perhaps I'm not seeing something correctly here...where the shackle bolt goes through the little pivot ball...it looks like the bolt can slide left and right through the ball without anything stopping it. There should be some sort of bushing there to prevent that from happening...I'm guessing it should be steel, because you're after articulation, not lateral deflection. If the front axle suddenly shifts 1.5" left or right, that's gonna be a problem. Am I just not looking carefully enough? Is this the poly bushing you're talking about? If it is, perhaps you should use steel...

One other little point. With only the one bolt holding it on, I'm concerned a bit about strength. The leaf spring will be pushing forward against the frame mounted bracket...I'm worried that if you put any real weight on that spring, it will put weird pulling forces on that single bolt and will want to elongate the hole in the frame, and/or rip the hole larger--follow me? I think maybe a second hole is in order with a second bolt, unless this setup is really really really temporary. It might also be worthwhile to drill out a larger hole and stick a piece of tube through the frame and then weld the tube in place to have something sturdy to stick the bolt through to prevent that elongation of the hole and to prevent the frame from just crushing when you tighten the bolt...

Just a couple thoughts. Other than that, looks great! Glad to see you're sticking with SUA.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the comments, this picture shows it alot better,

the red bushing fits inside the rod end snug, the washers keep it from sliding left or right (i might make them alittle larger in diameter, but it will also limit rod end movement the larger the diameter) and i made the steel sleeves to hold everything centered in the shackle.
as far as the bolt to the frame, it is a very temporary thing, i'm debating moving it forward or aft alittle to get the angle of the shackle at rest that i want, (and i'm not sure what that is really)
i think i like playing with my digital camera more than my jeep somedays......[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 09:45 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Do you really think the poly bushing is necessary? I set mine up the same, except where you have poly, I have another steel sleeve...

I would think the poly would just add more slop to an already questionable setup... Your opinion?

I hope to get mine on tomorrow, and test them out on a trail ride the 16th. This is on a Toyota, but the info is still valid for anything. I will be sure to take plenty of digital pics too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

i really don't know for sure,
but i think that it's easy to build things to rigid, and this promotes stress cracking.
anyway, this is were i want the shackle to pivot (swing forward and aft around the bushing, and keeping the rod end ball stationary in it's housing) during normal spring compression, and i think the poly bushing will be better that metal on metal wear. i also think if you tighten down the through bolt so tight that the rod end ball is fixed with the shackle/bolt itself, then it will pivot foward and aft in it's own housing (which is metal to metal on mine) and i think wear out the rod end very fast.
i'm not sure if i explained what i'm thinking[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
maybe once full jeep weight is on this setup (with the poly bushing) it will just smash it and wear it out fast?

CJDave, what's those crack moon guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode